Bevel jigs used in conjunction with belt sanders

1. Is this a common approach to large surface area bevels?

2. Has anyone here used a milling machine and a fly cutter? 

1. Speaking only for myself, some people like jigs, others do not.  They are indeed handy for production work, but most of us here do one-off pieces.  Personally, I like to freehand things, especially on long blades like swords.  It's easier to blend the complex geometries that way, since the bevel angle on a long double-edged blade with non-linear distal taper is constantly changing.  

2. I've seen it done.  Whatever works!  

Posted (edited)

I’ve always seen them as more of a stock removal thing. Mostly because of the nature of forging a blade. Every knife you forge is different. Not to mention if you forge distal tapers on your blade, which I would think that most forgers do, how do you then go and clamp it into a jig when you have angles everywhere?

Like Alan above, I think of jigs as being used in production and repetitious processes which, again, I see as more of a stock removal thing where someone may have a large number of water jet cut blanks done up for them.

Using a jig is fine but I do feel like if you start off learning using a jig, you do yourself a disservice by not learning how to use your properly use your grinder from the start.

I’ve got a decent size milling machine. I think the setup on a forged blade would probably be not worth it for me. I’ve not tried it though. For me, personally, I’m not crazy of using something that takes my hands out of the process. Someone doing this for a living would probably have a much different view on it. For me, it’s just for fun.

Whichever way you enjoy the most.

Edited by Cody Killgore

For my $.02 I would  recommend that you learn to grind freehand.  In the long run you'll be glad that you did.

The Force is strong with the Dark Side, but a real Jedi does not use jigs :ph34r:

At least, that's what my mentor and most everybody here thinks.

I believe developing the skill is 100% worthwile, but there are times when you mess up..... :wacko:

Jigs the Jedi uses not, correct!  Steep the learning curve is, however, as a good grinder allows great speed in which to mess up, if the Force be not strong.

• Haha 1