Sign in to follow this  
Bryan Bondurant

Tumbuk Lada

I first found this knife in the Islamic History Museum in Kuala Lumpur while I was digging into the history of the Kriss, Wootz, and the Headhunters of Maylay, life an death in Sulu Sultanate, WARNING, All my threads are a bit political as lead and steel are weapons created to rule the world, not objects of fantasy for gamers and larping, beyond the internet, there is life, their is death, steel gives both. 

I will dig out my sketches, I recently came across them in some of my baggage. For now here is the best example I could find on youtube, As far as I know, this is the very first mention of this blade on the most intense knife making and knife history forum in the world. Always a thanks to Don Fogg, he was beyond time in setting this thing up. 

You will find much silly information of this blade. I dispute most of it based on my knowledge of killing, actual function, what designs achieve death based on actual science. The best translation of this blade would be Royal Shank. In no way was it designed for fighting, chopping, or cutting. It was carried only by Royals and their tenders within Royal Households. Its sole design and purpose is to penetrate the body below the rib cage and puncture the heart. Upon penetration, the intended victim would be held, confined, denied oxygen, movement, until the moment life left the body. It is a weapon to kill with, and a status symbol of Royalty. 

Ritual, this is more of Kriss Ritual, I will argue anyone Malay, Thai, whoever that this knife is a weapon of death, a badge of status, but video is fun. Sadly, FMA Philipino Martial Arts, Dan Inosanto, others, never bothered to study how wootz steel migrated from India by land and sea. They chose to believe that steel was invented, produced, and historical blades were designed in the Northern Islands of PI, not crossed from Maylay to Ache, then distributed from island to island to the Sulu Sultanate, modern day Mindanao, then north to Cebu, then on. No weapon in Dans book was known or made outside of Sulu. The northern islands were ignorant tribesman until Megaton was killed by Lapu lapu a Muslim. Now in fantasy world, Lapu Lapu is a Christian? Not trying to show off but get a couple weird things about knifes and steel out there to be digested by historians While I was in Asia, some guys on a major knife forum claimed I was  a liar, not from Arkansas, who the heck lies about being from Arkansas???????? lol. Steel cannot lie,,,,,, ENJOY!