5" with a false edge

Joël Mercier

I like the change of angle at the very bottom of the handle below the pinky. I would try to sculpt it into an accent line. I think the overall shape of the handle could use just a little more figure, and I like to keep my guard and choil hanging out just about the same distance. 

But that's all opinions. Whatever you do will look 100% professional I'm quite positive. 

Surely the handle could use some refinement. What do you mean by accent line? 

I decided to move the center line of the blade 1/8" higher. This way it moves away from the tip and grinding should be easier. It should also improve cutting performance...

I imagined something like this. Compare it to the exterior lines of a violin, or some high end guitars, or a bead rolled edge in sheet metal. It's just a nice way to end something. 

20190828_213832.jpg

Edited by Zeb Camper
Changed drawing.
  • Like 1

Right, though it makes finitiob a bit tricky. What about a butt plate? 

Also, while I like your design, I was aiming for straighter lines. Something that resembles to a dagger. That's also why I designed the guard wider than the blade. 

Ahhh, gotcha. Yeah, it'd be tough to pull off. Nothing I would try, but Figured you'd manage. 

I did sketch another idea real quick, but remember, I'm just doodling over here. Fingers are too sore for guitar, so I gotta pass the time somehow. As always, use any part you like. 

15670450220941196525854682401482.jpg

Joel, I love the grind lines you plan at the tang and the shape of the blade. If I could draw, I would suggest leaving off the shape of the palm as you have it. (the notch at the bottom). Perhaps a small swell at best, toward the front of the handle, (both top and bottom). I would add a slight flare to the top of the guard, same slope/curvature but much smaller, subtle. These comments are only my lousy opinion.

To grind the blade on both top and bottom there is always the risk of grinding too much width away. Whatever you decide, I’d enjoy seeing the final finished product! It will be a dandy.

Gary LT

"I Never Met A Knife I Didn't Like", (Will Rogers)

Since trying it I have newfound respect for these sketches.

If you'll excuse a slight hi-jack, any tips for getting a curve or a sweep even especially on longer blades?

I can do it with my eye at the grinder, but that defeats the purpose of try to work accurately to a design.....

@Gerhard Gerber I use french curves. Got them for cheap on Amazon. 

@Zeb Camper and @Gary LT thanks for your suggestions. I'll be taking those into consideration. I cut the blade pattern last night as no one suggested changes to the blade itself. In case you wondered, it'll be in W2 with a hamon :)

It might take a while to get this side project done but I'll take all the time I need to do my best. :lol:

Edited by Joël Mercier
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Joël Mercier said:

I cut the blade pattern last night as no one suggested changes to the blade itself. In case you wondered, it'll be in W2 with a hamon :)

Oh yeah, you're asking the wrong guy about usefulness or practicality! You're gonna do it a good job!

Gerhard, I've had plenty practice. Light pencil strokes and a good eraser are key. I do have methods for knife sketching; I could do a tutorial sometime if you think it'd help. 

12 hours ago, Gerhard Gerber said:

Since trying it I have newfound respect for these sketches.

If you'll excuse a slight hi-jack, any tips for getting a curve or a sweep even especially on longer blades?

I can do it with my eye at the grinder, but that defeats the purpose of try to work accurately to a design.....

I have a length of bendy wood (any suitable material will work) and use it to look at any curve on the blade and when I have what I think is right I can get my wife to run a very light pencil line round it and then with studying the result can alter it if needed.

• Thanks 1

Von Gruff

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

The ability to do comes with doing.

add resized.png

It would help to know what purpose you intend for the knife.  If you are intending to use it for hunting hogs over dogs, I'd go with Zeb's third handle design with more of a guard to stop the hand.  Keep us posted on your progress.

Doug

HELP...I'm a twenty year old trapped in the body of an old man!!!

1 hour ago, Doug Lester said:

It would help to know what purpose you intend for the knife.  If you are intending to use it for hunting hogs over dogs, I'd go with Zeb's third handle design with more of a guard to stop the hand.  Keep us posted on your progress.

Doug

Isn't Zeb's third design with a bigger guard exactly like my design? :lol:

57 minutes ago, Joël Mercier said:

Isn't Zeb's third design with a bigger guard exactly like my design? :lol:

It is yours! I even said so I think. It's just off the graph paper and shaded a little. Looked much better than I thought it would. It's my favorite of the three. 

Edit: and sorry I caused a hijacking! Looking good my man!

Edited by Zeb Camper

If it's for hog hunting I'd make the guard just a little larger than on your sketch just to be sure that it stopped the hand on a stab.  Boars especially can have some tough hide to get through.  That is if it's for hunting hogs.

Doug

HELP...I'm a twenty year old trapped in the body of an old man!!!

16 hours ago, Garry Keown said:

I have a length of bendy wood (any suitable material will work) and use it to look at any curve on the blade and when I have what I think is right I can get my wife to run a very light pencil line round it and then with studying the result can alter it if needed.

This is exactly how boat builders create "fair" curves along the hull.  Any long flexible strip made of a uniform material will naturally flex into a pleasing and smooth curve.

-Brian