Conner Michaux

Little propane forge build

I think its time to try out a gas forge again, heres my plan.     Paint can, 2 layers of 1 inch koawool, satanite, 2-3 coleman propane tank/torch things, boom, little propane forge.

I think it will work, and ive seen it done. It would be easier to see decaliscense (how ever you spell it) And those little torches can run 6 hours a piece, and three of them could easily get up to critical temp.

My questions, first of all, would this work? second, I would be putting the torches in diagonally, but how could I make it so the torches don't blow up, there small torches, so if they heat up to much they would go boom right? Third, Is this even worth it? I would use it for heat treating, I dnt make big blades so it seems like it would work for me. and lastly, I think the tanks are galvanized, how could i solve that problem? There also a grey coating on the inside of the can, but I would be operating the forge outside so I dont know if the fumes would effect me.

Check out the Build a Gas Forge and the Ribbon Burner attachments on the Forge Supplies page at www.WayneCoeArtistBlacksmith.com.

Let me know if I can help you.

If you wanted one about 3" across inside for small knives only it'd probably work. But to use 3 of those it would be worth it in the long run to just get a real burner.

I know you're a budget bladesmith... I was too when I started out. Luckily my parents just let me do whatever and make all kinds of makeshift ground forges until I had the knowledge to make something more permanent. 

You can make a really good burner out of just plumbing parts from lowes. That is if you can afford the propane. But, dont be afraid to use a wood fire if your neighborhood allows it. A wood fire with some air will get plenty hot to heat treat.

I still gotta find the time to go to the post office to get you Bernie. I gotta ship a knife out too, so it'll be soon(ish). 

So the forge would work, but I could make a burner for it and it would work better? Sounds good. 

No rush on Bernie! I’ll let you know how he settles into Idaho. ;):P

What would I need for said burner?

Edited by Conner Michaux

Alec Steel had a new video this week on building a soup can forge, good as any I've seen.

6 hours ago, Conner Michaux said:

What would I need for said burner?

Check the pinned threads, my inspiration came from somebody that used the burner from a turkey fryer.  We don't have those here but I assume you do......

Yeah, I think it was Jeremy that made the turkey frier forge,  I’m looking for something that will be with me for the Long haul, and I’m pretty sure a turkey frier burner is more of a temporary thing. Maybe it isn’t though, I haven’t used one. 

I would recommend that you start out with something like a 5 gallon metal paint can and build a venturi burner for it.  Those small paint can forges with hand held torch burners will quickly give you a pile of empty propane tanks.  A 10 pound propane bottle doesn't cost much, though a 25 pound would be better, and you should be able to find most of the hardware that you need.  If not look at Wayne's site or High Temperature Tools and Refractory.

Doug

I was thinking about making my own smaller burner for the paint can forge, a single burner could easily heat a paint can.  I think that would work. I’m not quite comfortable with a full size forge yet, that’s why I wanted to use the paint can, and it’s big enough to forge all the blades I want within the next year or so.   

Is this galvanized? And since I’m not forging inside a shop does it matter? For the first heat I could walk away from the forge for a few minutes to let all of the bad coatings and what not burn off. 

10D83070-8791-4353-B71E-7B52086BF4E7.jpeg

266CEB73-3193-45A8-A047-40C58313847C.jpeg

I made a mistake on propane tank sizes I should have said 25 pound and 50 pound instead of 10 and 25 pound.  I don't think that they even make a 10 pound refillable bottle.

No, I really doubt that that paint can is galvanized, it's probably aluminum.  A double layer of ceramic matting should protect it.  With a port on the back side you will be able to forge and heat treat blade longer than the forge is deep.  A port on the back side will also help the forge to breath better.

Doug

Okay thanks! I’ll have this thing ready for a burner soon.

The burner kit hightemptools.com sells works well in small forges.  A buddy of mine has been making little two-brick forges using that design for a while now, and they work great on very low pressure.  https://www.facebook.com/greg.shaffer.16 is the guy.  I really need to get some pics of mine, it works great for everything blade-related.  Except tomahawks and axes, it's too small for those.  Maybe I should just say "knife related."  It'll even hit welding heat with small billets.  Your paint can with 2" of wool and a skim of refractory will have a slightly larger interior volume, so that burner would work even better.  It'll use a skinch more gas is all.

Finally, yes, it's galvanized steel. Your magnet won't lie about that, and I've never seen an aluminum paint can.  Plastic yes, aluminum no.  Thin layer of zinc, but it's there.  The gray stuff it's lined with is some kind of plastic paint won't stick to, maybe a teflon-type stuff.  If you burn it off, do it outside and WAY away and downwind of anyone you like.  

Alright I’m going to math this can and the kaowool to see how much I need.    

Just to make sure, the 3/4.  Venturi kit? 45$ isn’t bad, but I don’t have some of the stuff I need to put it together, so looking at around 60$ or so I think. 

Edited by Conner Michaux

How long  does the satanite take to cure? It’s in my shed, which I have named “the oven” due to its consistent interior temperature of over 100 degrees, it should curve faster being that it is in the constant heat. 

978ACCC5-3C3B-412F-9D24-6FD2B975E10C.jpeg

Edited by Conner Michaux

If you go to www.hightemptools.com, he has a FAQ section where he gives a pretty detailed procedure for the curing process. 

Or for $50 you could get a fully assembled Black Beauty burner from Anvilfire.com.  As good as a T-rex at 1/4 the price...

I’ve heard good things about that burner, 50$ isn’t bad at all. Looks like we’ve got a winner.  I need to finish my kith before that though.

And of course the shipping price brings it up to 65$

Edited by Conner Michaux

Yep.  But you don't need to buy a letter-Z sized drill bit,  hacksaw a pipe bushing, and tap a MIG tip into a pipe to build it like you do the one from Hightemptools.  

That’s true, what do I need to finish the black beauty burner? I can’t find a list of materials.

I think all you need is a connector nipple to hook the gas line to the burner.  Ask Brian Dougherty, he has one.  

Edit:  Looking at the page, if you click on the diagrams you get this: https://www.anvilfire.com/21centbs/products/P-75/500-1-0-MODEL-75-BURNER-R2.pdf for the actual burner assembly.  That shows the gas inlet to be threaded for 1/4"-18 NPT (national pipe thread) connectors.  You can either use a short threaded connector to adapt it to whatever is on your gas line, or you can buy a 1/4-18 NPT male tip and put it on your gas line.  

Be sure to click on the other pictures on that page, the third one down shows how to mount one on a thin-walled forge with no welding required.

Edited by Alan Longmire

Satanite is cured. (I think?)  it’s rock hard.   

9D7E871D-ACDB-45FB-BD85-5F59EFB0D3B1.jpeg

Edited by Conner Michaux
  • Like 1

If I were to put this forge into a fire pit to burn out all the nasty coatings on the paint can would that be okay?  I should have done it before I put the kaowool and satanite in. But I’m wondering if it will be fine with if I burn everything out while the wool isn’t in it. 

Edited by Conner Michaux

You could, but it might crack the Satanite.  It would be just as easy to fire it up with a burner and leave it running for an hour or so.  Outside, of course!  

I would do that but I don’t have a burner yet. I still haven’t figured it ignore I want to but the black beauty burner from anvilfire or just make my own.