Conner Michaux

Little propane forge build

Posted (edited)

That's helium tank should be perfect for the black beauty burner. Also I believe they use helium for welding shielding gas for mig and tig welders. 

Edited by Jeremy Blohm

If you are going to build a new forge then I'd look into getting some Mizzou or Kast-O-Lite to coat the ceramic fiber matting with.  Both are much more durable than the Santinite and  you won't have to reline is as often.

Doug

Posted (edited)

Thanks all, yep I’ve got plenty of Kaowool and satanite, probably enough wool for 2 layers, and some cast-able refractory to line the bottom with to protect the wool from flux. I’ll put it together tomorrow.  The black beauty burner gets to welding heat right? I’m really hoping to do some wrapped tomahawks and a froe. Also, I don’t know how big of a hole to cut in the tank for the opening, and should I cut a vent In the back as well? I’m not doing anything huge right now so I don’t think a hole in the back is necessary.

I think shooting it may be an option though, we will see :D

Edited by Conner Michaux

Remember to cut your wool oversized by several inches as far as circumference. Bigger than you think it ought to be. To get it in there, roll it into a tight burrito, stick it in and let go. Message it into place and make the ends but up to each other. 

I would buy the burner, or get the specs before cutting holes for it. 

I would make the hole in the back an option. Maybe close it off with bricks, or a hatch if you can manage it. Remember, ventury burners dont like back pressure. My welding forge has 2 holes in it and I can weld big enough billet to make 2 swords. Different design, and burner though. 

Be careful! You've entered the realm of ceramic dust, flammable gas, and possibly firearms. My autobody teacher always said "you're going to set a car on fire. Be thinking about how to handle it". 

I made a forge out of one of those tanks, and they are the perfect size. Take the valve off and cut with the angle grinder, you'll be fine. 

The only issue is that the walls are so thin it's tricky to weld on legs and the burner port.  Of course you can always attach them with screws, no trouble.

And definitely leave a small hole in the back.

I have ceramic fiber board that works excellent for forge doors. Maybe when you get to it you can give me an idea of the size door you want and I can weld something up and insulate it, that you can bolt on?

Thanks for the info, I won’t cut the burner hole in I until I have it,.

as to the doors, I was just going to cut a rectangular hole in both sides for doors, and then use fire bricks to cover it when I’m heating something up. Hopefully that will work to keep enough heat for forge welding in it. I want to keep everything as simple as possible, putting the burner together will be complicated enough.

Posted (edited)

How should I go about putting the wool into the helium tank? I don't want to cut a massive hole into it because a big opening will let a lot of heat out. I'm going to cut the valve off now.

Edited by Conner Michaux

You don't have to cut the valve, just unscrew it.  And you will need at least a 4" hole to get the wool in.

Posted (edited)

This just arrived at my doorstep today, from @Jeremy Blohm at this point I don’t know what I can say to thank you for all your generosity over the past year. I will be putting it to very good use.   :lol:

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Conner Michaux
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Ive got the forge lined with wool, it took my a while but its in there. I used satanite to coat the first forge i made, but it cracks really easy and its not very durable, I would like to coat it in something that will last a while longer than satanite, what should I use?

thumbnail.jpg

Edited by Conner Michaux
  • Like 1

Kast-o-lite 30  is my favorite so far.

Okay thanks. Is it okay to use the forge without a coating on the wool? I would use it outside and there is usually a little breeze so I would think that any particles from the wool would just blow away.

Technically yes, but the wool will be crumbly after you fire it for a while.  This will just make it harder to line later, as the wool will want to powder up rather than sit still.  But firing it up to see if it works is fine.  If you just absolutely have to forge (and I understand!) and can't wait for the kast-o-lite to arrive, just put a thin coat of satanite on it as a temporary measure.  The kast-o-lite will stick to that just fine.

So I just checked and apparently I’m out of satanite, and I checked on the price of kast o lite and I currently can’t afford it, so looks like I can only get a little bit of satanite, how much will 2 pounds of satanite spread? I think I will be fine with 2 but I’ll just check here first. :)

Mix it thick and it ought to be enough for a skim coat.  You really don't need any thickness of coating anywhere except the floor and lower walls where it tends to get poked a lot.  Unless you want to weld.  Then you will need a thicker floor to keep any flux off the wool.

There’s a brick on the floor of the forge, but I’ll make it thicker around the low walls. Thanks.

I suspect since the ends of the wool aren't butting together, you may run into problems keeping the wool on the walls. You need that wool tight against the walls. If you cant get the ends flush, I would at least want that part on the floor of the forge. 

What you can see in the forge is the second layer of wool, the first one has full contact on the walls the entire way around the tank. I Have a second layer over the top of it and then a third on the floor. 

Probably over kill but I had lots of wool to use.

5 lbs of kast-o-lite 30 from wayne Coe is about $30 shipped.

Thanks Jeremy, actually 5 # of Kast-0-Lite is $24.00 shipped.

Let me know if I can help you.

Posted (edited)

That’s cheaper than the satanite, and kast o lite is what I originally wanted, looks like I’ll be ordering some of that this week! Thanks all. 

Quick question for the gas forge users, What do I need to do to make the propane tank not blow up? I had a bad first experience with gas forges, the burner I bought was not well made (apparently it was already fully assembled) but that didn’t stop the fact that fire was spitting out of all the fittings. 

What precautions should I take to ensure that I stay safe and not die. 

Edited by Conner Michaux

That link to the pipe dope (pipe thread sealant) should help you with that. You really shouldn't need it on the compression fitting though. Teflon tape works but any little strand that gets in the line will plug up the jet.

Also, once everything is hooked up,  spread some soapy water on all the joints and turn on the gas.  Any leaks will show as bubbles.

Thanks for the info, anyone have an idea of how I can mount this to the forge? I have no option to weld.   Also how far should the burner be in the forge?