Sign in to follow this  
Don Abbott

Bone Slabs needed

I need 3 pairs of smooth bone slabs approx. 4.5 in x 1.5in

Bovine, camel, etc.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

1. Butcher shop - buy some soup bones, make some soup and then use a bandsaw to cut your slabs.  There is a treatment procedure for animal bone that involves boiling in acid to remove soluble organics before bone is used for jewelry etc.  Somebody lifted my book that described it though.

2. Pet store - You can buy bovine bones there that appear to have gone through the treatment.  Again, a bandsaw is required.

3. Atlantic Coral Enterprise - giraffe, camel bone available.  Wholesale operation with minimum purchase requirements.  More bandsaw.

Ok, thanks.

I've got 'til Christmas to do what I need to do, so I'll probably experiment with the DIY stuff, but I'll bet I end up ordering slabs.

I appreciate it.

Don, you didn't say whether you've worked with bone or not but if you haven't be aware that bone reeks when it is cut or sanded and the odor can hang around the house for days.  If you have a detached workshop it's not all that much of a problem, except that you friend might cut their visits short if they visit you there.  Oh ya, wear a mask.

By the way, the bone that I worked with was elk leg bone that I got from Moscow Hide and Fur.  He also carries a variety of shed antlers.

Doug

Edited by Doug Lester

Anyone working with bone should be wearing a respirator. Do not get that dust around the house and especially around where your kids breath, bad stuff.