Brian Dougherty

New Slip-joint Design

Fing A dude! That pattern is wild.

• Thanks 1

Stunning pattern and I love the knife!

• Thanks 1

I've had some other things get in the way of working on this knife for the last few days, but managed to make some time this evening to get the final assembly done.  Here are all of the parts ready to go together:

IMG_20190928_202050097.jpg

Peening the pivot pin is still a nervous time for me on these.  The pivot busing on this one is 0.0008" thicker than the blade.  (Yes, that is eight tenths of a thousandth).  I ended up with no perceptible blade shake, but I lost a little of the snappiness of the action.

You can see the mighty hammer I use to peen the pivot pin.  The pin is an 1/8" piece of nickel silver, and that dinky hammer does a fine job in peening.  No need for anything bigger.  The blue ring around the pin is ink.  I run a tapered reamer part way into the pivot holes in the bolsters to create a tapered space to lock the pin in.  The ink let's me know how far I have run the reamer in.  I don't ever let anything touch the edge of the hole between reaming and peening.  It is a superstition I picked up when I built model steam engines.  Seems to help keep the pin from ghosting.

Here is the finished peen:

IMG_20190928_203128855.jpg

I use a file to cut the pin down and do the final shape of the bolster.  Now that the pin and bolster are shaped I'll just use abrasive paper from this point on:

IMG_20190928_210206208.jpg

Just some final polishing to do and then the sharpening...

• Like 2

Congratulations on getting past the nerve-wracking step!  Looks good.

All done.  After opening and closing a couple of dozen times, the snap on close has come back, so I would say 0.0008" thicker than the blade is about ideal for the bushing.  I'm pretty happy with this one, but agree that the pin locations are too close to the edge.  I've adjusted my pattern a bit and will move them in on the next one.  I think I will use 1/16" pins as well as these are a bit too large looking after being peened.

Here are a few glamor shots.  I've also attached a PDF of the pattern if anyone would like to use it.  Consider it partial payment for all that I have taken from this group over the years.

Thanks for riding along :)

IMG_7518.jpg

IMG_7515.jpg

IMG_7526.jpg

IMG_7504.jpgIMG_7527.jpg

IMG_7482 (2).jpg

IMG_7484 (2).jpg

Pattern 9-30-19.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Look great Brian and thank you for sharing the pattern!

• Thanks 1

Brian, I really am enjoying these slipjoint projects you are sharing. Jealous of the pattern welded blades as well, as my dedicated forge for welding needs some $$.

I like how you addressed the concavity in the tang sit at the backspring. I just finished one and had to jump through hoops to reshape the spring ever so slightly to maintain pressure through the arc. I’d like to add your engineering to the next one !:rolleyes:

Really like these Brian.

Gary LT

• Thanks 1