Sign in to follow this  
Will Wilcox

Rifle Sling

Not knife related, and also not my work. I found this old rifle sling while going through some of my grandfathers hunting gear. The leather is nice, and the design on the shoulder pad is really cool, and well done. I think this one is going on my deer rifle. 

Just thought it would be something neat to show. Maybe give inspiration to someone. 

I wish I was this good at leather working :P.

20190915_120859.jpg

20190915_120956.jpg

Edited by Will W.

I second that Will. I wish i was too. I hate selling a knife to a customer without a sheath. Gotta keep working at it tho. So many different aspects of knifemaking, people don't realize the time involved. Leatherwork especially. I look forward to the day when my sheaths dont look like an accident!

Tom

Nice tooling!  I wonder what kind of dyes they used.  There is almost no bleed at all.

14 hours ago, Wes Detrick said:

I wonder what kind of dyes they used. 

Wes, I wondered the same thing. It looks like they used the tooling lines to control the bleed. Which didn't always work, if you look closely. But it is still excellent, much better then I could do.

Edited by Will W.

On 9/18/2019 at 8:50 AM, Will W. said:

Wes, I wondered the same thing. It looks like they used the tooling lines to control the bleed. Which didn't always work, if you look closely. But it is still excellent, much better then I could do.

And that is what I typically do, with mixed results.  I am in agreement; it is better than I could do as well.