Did the Aztecs had metal swords?

Gerald Boggs

Did the Aztecs  had metal swords?

Was just surfing a bladesmiths site and it appears to say that the Aztecs had metal swords.  Not what I learned, but hey, history is making new discoveries all the time.

Nope.  Period.

They had gold and silver and copper in the form of natural nuggets, but they (unlike the Inca) did not make tools or weapons out of any metals.  They had a swordlike object, the Macuahuitl, which the Spanish claimed could take the head off a horse in one swing, but no metal swords.  They used obsidian for all cutting purposes, because they had a never-ending supply and it's sharper than steel anyway.

The Inca and other South American groups who developed metallurgy seem to have done so because they both had the ore and they also lacked the abundant suitable stone for tools.  Interestingly, while they had figured out casting, and even a sort of bronze with which they made mace heads, spearheads, and arrow tips, and they had special-purpose knives like the Tumi, they never seem to have thought up the sword.  

49 minutes ago, Alan Longmire said:

Macuahuitl

So that’s what it’s called, how do you pronounce it?  And this was actually is what I was going to recommend for kith 2020 :D

5 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

MA-kwuh-WEEt-l. Swallow the L.  Or Ma-coo-uh-WEET-l, depending on who taught you to speak Nahuatl (Aztecan). And I don't have enough obsidian. ;)

Just take a trip to Glass Buttes Oregon,you could possibly fill a 5 gallon bucket with obsidian in a couple of hours............. https://bendbranches.com/2018/05/25/glass-buttes-obsidian-field-trip/

21 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

MA-kwuh-WEEt-l. Swallow the L.  Or Ma-coo-uh-WEET-l, depending on who taught you to speak Nahuatl (Aztecan). And I don't have enough obsidian. ;)

Ok, I'm sorry but when an archeologist says something like that, all I can think of is this line:

"Well, the way you're sinking your teeth
into those wubble-u's, I should think maybe Eastern Ukraine."

• Haha 1

-Brian