Dear Brethren,

I made this seax a while back but havent posted it until now as it was a secret present for the honourable Mr Ecroyd for his upcoming trip to the other side of the world. 

This is meant as an every day carry knife while he works on a farm over there. I havent had any of my knives apart from kitchen knives see any serious work yet so hopefully he can give it a good field test!

Blade: 5", 15N20/EN42J

Handle: Lost wax cast bronze bolster with stabilised coolibah burl.

As always let me know what you think!

Cheers,

James

20190827_171452.jpg

20190827_171448.jpg

20190827_171500.jpg

20190827_171553.jpg

20190827_171532.jpg

• Like 1

Nice!  That'll get a few double-takes from the other farmhands.  What sort of sheath/scabbard does it have, and where's our Sam headed?

• Thanks 1

Goodness, that is a dandy! A very nice seax indeed, very nice. Yes a sheath photo please?

Regards, Gary LT

• Like 1

Thanks guys! Hes off to New Zealand for a while. I made a very rough and ready sheath for it, 4mm veg tan leather, tooled his makers mark into it and added straps to allow it to be back slung at the base of the back. Dyed it chestnut coloured and then decided to make it as waterproof as poss so soaked in oil. Never expected it to go totally black! It's entirely waterproof now though... anyone else done that before? Sam might post a photo of it as I didnt get one before I gave it to him!

That is outstanding!  As a matter of fact, everything about it is outstanding.  I love the handle, I love the pattern welding, I love the shape of the blade, I love the bronze casting.

Doug

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Doug Lester said:

That is outstanding!  As a matter of fact, everything about it is outstanding.  I love the handle, I love the pattern welding, I love the shape of the blade, I love the bronze casting.

Doug

Cheers Doug for the very kind words! I am sorry to see it go as with everything I make I just want to keep it :ph34r: but Sam will give it a proper using so I cant wait to get his feedback. 

I think I saw this one on Facebook. It's worth more compliments though! Great job, man! 

• Like 1

What Doug said, every inch of this thing is awesome. 

• Like 1

It makes you keep coming back to take another peak.

Doug

That's nice!  Looks ready for all day use.

• Like 1

I have no doubt it could do the job, but sorry, if that was mine I'd not be able to do more than take it out and wipe it down with an oily rag once a week. B)

• Haha 1

Greetings fellow bladesmiths!

Apologies for the absence for the last few months but it's been a little hectic getting ready to head across the globe so there hasn't been much chance for forge time.

The pictures don't do this seax justice, it's an absolute beauty and feels perfect in the hand, in fact I'd go so far as to say it feels like it was made for me!

Gerhard, I will admit that was my first response when I was presented with it, but James was adamant that he wants it using and abusing as a proper field trial - I'm still terrified every time I use it but so far it's stood up to basic camp chores, so once I get out there I'll put it through it's paces.

This is the sheath James made for it, I'm making a few more modifications to make it a bit more robust and to stop the blade from slipping free inadvertently. Personally I really like the accidental colour and am going to try and recreate it in future.

Thanks once again to James for the most beautiful knife I've ever owned, I'll try and do you proud with it!IMG_20191009_1638429.jpgIMG_20191004_1742041.jpgIMG_20191004_2329149.jpg

• Like 1

Very nice. Love the handle wood.