J.Leon_Szesny

Butcher Dies, Angles?

recently made a guillotine and some dies, 
problem im having is, I must've shaped the butcher dies to an overly acute angle, so I had trouble getting in there to forge the butchered section into a smooth tang and got a lil cold shut. 
Im thinking I need to raise the angle to get more working clearance to forge shoulders and such but my dies are only 8 mm thick (0.3")....

anyway, 
tell to me, what angles you got on your butcher dies/tools? 
did you have problems with certain angles?
whats the golden standard for butcher die/tools thickness, height and displacement/bevel(?) angle?

Let the leading edge be rounded not sharp, generally speaking the angle is flatter than one might expect, and more round trying to get a radius on the transition. 

the leading edge is not sharp but maybe considering the dies are so slim I should've extended the blunt edge, 
and the angle higher? its like 45-50 degrees I think.
good thought! 

Try around 20 degrees with a rounded corner.

20 degree bevel? hm Im not sure that would work for the dies I have, they are very thin, 8mm(which is fine since they're for small work)
but ill keep that number in mind if I ever make a bigger guillotine with thicker dies.

2 hours ago, J.Leon_Szesny said:

20 degree bevel? hm Im not sure that would work for the dies I have, they are very thin, 8mm(which is fine since they're for small work)
but ill keep that number in mind if I ever make a bigger guillotine with thicker dies.

Twenty sound about what I had in mind , for an 8 mm wide tool might just make it more or less rounded, or a tipped egg shape. In the blacksmith shop we have a tendency to just try , modifying as we go , till things work. 

hm aight two people saying 20 degrees, 
then I go with that first.
tipped egg, hmm that sounds like an idea!
this?
ftht.jpg

Edited by J.Leon_Szesny

Either end looks good.  Can you get any 10mm or 12mm bar?  

sadly not for now...my supply is limited to the hardware store and stuff from the scrapyard.
the closest they currently got, is 20mm thick steel but its a giant sheet of the stuff, its unpickuppable for me.

other than that would be forge welding, which...I can "kinda" do but not to good yet.