Sign in to follow this  
jake cleland

Cable, Antler and Walnut Sgian Dubh

Just finished this up as an order. 3 1/2" cable blade, red deer coronet handle with carved walnut bolster and obverse, carved walnut scabbard:

blair 9.jpg

blair 8.jpg

blair 7.jpg

blair 6.jpg

blair 5.jpg

let me know what you think...

• Like 6

I love this kind of stuff.  It evokes the pure sense of handmade and craftsmanship... You just can't fake a hand carved handle/scabbard. 

This makes me long for those cold winter days when your snowed in, sitting in a cozy little workshop next to a hot wood stove with uninterrupted hours to carve. Never happens, but I can dream :P

• Like 1

You kill me Jake. Those double sided handles are really cool. 

6 minutes ago, Adam Weller said:

You just can't fake a hand carved handle/scabbard. 

Ain't that the truth.

Woah, that's like two different knives. :o  It reminds me of those singers who have one profile done up like a guy and the other like a girl and then sing  a"Duet" by alternating facing left and right.  (Only in a good way!)

Edited by Brian Dougherty

Very sweet. Not often we see cable blades here, but I love them. I second Adam's and Joshua's statements on the handle. Any chance you could post a side shot of the handle? Would love to see the interface.

Adam, carve or any other work. That WOULD be a nice dream....

As a second question, how did you forge out the cable? It looks like "spindles". When I did my first and only cable blade, I got a noticeable twist pattern.

Edited by Bill Schmalhofer

I cut and flattened the antler and recessed it for the tang, then cut out a 'V' for the top half of the bolster. Then I cut the top half of the bolster, and recessed it for  the shoulders of the blade, and super-glued it in place. Then I flattened everything again, and cut a piece of walnut for the back, rough shaped to match the mouth of the top bolster. As the tang and shoulders were entirely seated in the top half of the handle, this just needed flattened, and both halves epoxied together, and then it was all rasped, filed, sanded etc to shape:

blair 10.jpg

So it's just a straight seam between the antler and the wood (lighting in this shot isn't great, but it looks pretty neat in person...).

The blade was forged from 1/2" cable with some kind of fibre core, so by the time I got it welded, it was very thin and narrow, like 1/16th by 5/8ths, so I folded that up a few times, 3 or 4 layers (it was a couple of years ago, so I don't remember exactly), and forged that into a bar about 1/4" x 1/2" x 6", and forged a couple of blades out of that...

• Like 2

Awesome. Thanks for the how-to do it.

Wow! I thought it was 2 different blades! Seriously cool carving as always. 

I read that they would sometimes ornament sword handles differently from side to side so you knew which side faced outward of the scabbard in the case that it might have an asymmetric blade. Is that part of the intention here? 

12 hours ago, Zeb Camper said:

Wow! I thought it was 2 different blades! Seriously cool carving as always. 

I read that they would sometimes ornament sword handles differently from side to side so you knew which side faced outward of the scabbard in the case that it might have an asymmetric blade. Is that part of the intention here? 

The different carving on the front and back of the scabbard is for that purpose, but the two part handle is because a sgian dubh is worn in the sock against the upper calf, and needs to be pretty flat on the back. I make other sgian dubhs with antler on one side and carved ebony on the other that can be worn facing either way, because traditionally antler is for day wear, and ebony is for evening wear...

• Thanks 1

Nice one, Jake.  And it shows you actually CAN use the fiber-core cable if you weld it enough. B)  Pretty snazzy!

Great work Jake. Love this one.

any a big Yes, love the creativity in most of your works. This is a perfect example of exactly that.