Sign in to follow this  
Cason Hicks

Sashimi Restoration (pic heavy)

I picked up this knife at a rummage sale, thinking it could be fun to fix up. It was in bad shape as you can see. I am looking for a little more information on the knife if anyone out there knows about it. The best I can gather is that it is a Sakai Kikuo knife. I believe it is san mai, but I cannot confirm that. 

While fixing up the edge/shape I did have to get a little closer to the original maker mark than I liked, but there was no way around it. I refinished the handle with a white ash body and pecan ferrule spaced with 1/32" G10. The pecan has a very cool tigers eye effect I was not expecting.

Also, my apologies if the pics appear out of order

image.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

https://i.imgur.com/j4D4S5A.mp4 

• Like 4

Nice job bringing that old yanagi-ba back to life.  There is a whole discipline to polishing those things that I don't know much about, but it looks like you breathed a lot of utility back into it.

It may be San Mai, but there is a good chance it is a two layer construction with a thin hard steel layer welded to a soft steel.

Edited by Brian Dougherty

Very nice restoration. I love seeing such a well used knife. Really nice handle also.

@Brian Dougherty thank you for the correct term "yanagi-ba"! I assume that is some subset of sashimi knives? As far as polishing, I tried to clean the face but if I were to polish it, the maker mark would surely have been eroded. So I decided to remove the rust off the face and correct the edge as best I could. The edge is hand finished to 7k then buffed and polished. I have absolutely no clue how to sharpen one, and honestly I'm afraid to because I don't want to mar the polished bevel with a stone. 

Also thank you for the clarification that its not san mai, since it would be 2 layers only. I know san mai is 3, and was wondering how it would work with a chisel style grind. 

Thanks @Pieter-Paul Derks I spent a lot of time on the ferrule. It took me 4 tries to get that stack correct. The pecan was a surprisingly beautiful addition. 

Does anyone know if this would be considered a white or blue paper steel? I understand that it is a clad construction, but this is turning out to be a little tougher to research than I initially expected. Do we have an estimated value of this piece? I hope the restoration/reprofiling of the blade didn't detract from the value (although I guess it would have been hard to detract considering its initial state).