Sign in to follow this  
Gerhard Gerber

Vanadis 10 SuperClean

I have almost a meter square of this stuff 4.2mm thick plate, a gift, with a chuckle and "it is sh1t to grind" from my mentor :lol:

The data sheet is very specific, at a guess the blade would be in the kiln for at least 45 minutes, and "the tool should be protected against decarburization and oxidation during hardening"

Plate/air quench.

Let's assume I'm not trying to HT this steel to the optimum, just trying to utilize this steel within the limitations of my equipment.  

How much performance would I loose if I soaked the blade without foil? Could that destroy the steel?

Rene' is a master on the grinder, my equipment is no better that his, and he has better belts, so if he gave up on the steel I don't intent to waste my time......

I was thinking a few cleavers with minimal grinding, sub-par HT on a very tough steel might still make a good tool?

Just looking at the specs for the steel it has a crazy high carbon content.  It's also a high allow steel with a lot of manganese, molybdenum, chromium, and vanadium.  It's designed for high abrasion resistance (as in the best knife you'll never be able to resharpen).  It will also be a mother bear to grind.  You're going to need a regulated high temperature oven to heat treat it in.  No heat treating instructions were given but I would guess that it would be at a high temperature for a long  period and rely on the vanadium to pin the grain size.  It is also not a high strength steel so it could have a problem with edge chipping.  Not a very good choice for a chopper of any kind.

There's a reason that your friend Rene' gave up on the steel.  Some steels, even when they're free, aren't worth the cost.

Doug

2 hours ago, Doug Lester said:

(as in the best knife you'll never be able to resharpen). 

I got all his leftover D6 as well....same story :ph34r:

Uddeholm Vanadis 10 SuperClean is a high vanadium alloyed powder
metallurgy tool steel offering a unique combination of an excellent abrasive
wear resistance in combination with a good chipping resistance. It is
manufactured according to the powder metallurgy process giving a very
low amount of non-metallic inclusions.
In tool making Uddeholm Vanadis 10 SuperClean offers a good
machinability and grindability together with a good dimensional stability
during heat treatment. It can normally be hardened to 60–65 HRC.

On the listing that I found on-line it said wear resistance 100% and chip resistance 25%, whatever that means.  Maybe one of the real metallurgists will chime in here.

Doug

• Like 1

https://www.alphaknifesupply.com/Pictures/Info/Steel/Vanadis6-DS.pdf

https://www.uddeholm.com/app/uploads/sites/54/2018/05/Tech-Uddeholm-Vanadis-10-EN.pdf

Looks like it is the least grindable steel Uddeholm-Bohler makes... :ph34r:  definitely not impact-rated, more for a continuous cut in abrasive materials.  I think it says something that in the brochures on the Vanadis series the dies are V10 but the punches are V6.  That says it is quite wear resistant, but not tough enough to act as an impactor.  

With 2.6 % C I doubt decarb will be a huge problem.  You could lose half the carbon and still have a heck of a steel.  Might even make it tougher!  

10 hours ago, Gerhard Gerber said:

I have almost a meter square of this stuff 4.2mm thick plate, a gift

I'd say this is evidence that "mentor" definitely does not equate to "friend".  I'd say play with HT and see what you can get.  You certainly don't have anything to lose as far as the metal is concerned.  If some one gave that to me, it would find a nice home at the bottom of my steel pile, protecting the concrete floor from the good steel I drop on it.  My time is too short to play with something so difficult.  

Trade it to someone who needs to make a dozer or excavator edge repair for something more useful to you?

15 hours ago, Doug Lester said:

On the listing that I found on-line it said wear resistance 100% and chip resistance 25%, whatever that means.  Maybe one of the real metallurgists will chime in here.

Doug

I get what you're saying, I think marketing wrote that bit I quoted :lol:

13 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

With 2.6 % C I doubt decarb will be a huge problem.  You could lose half the carbon and still have a heck of a steel.  Might even make it tougher!  

Now THAT'S what I wanted to hear! :lol: Now we need to find out if it's a case of great minds thinking alike or fools never differing :D

In all seriousness, this is exactly what I was thinking, you expressed it better.

13 hours ago, Jerrod Miller said:

I'd say this is evidence that "mentor" definitely does not equate to "friend".  I'd say play with HT and see what you can get.  You certainly don't have anything to lose as far as the metal is concerned.  If some one gave that to me, it would find a nice home at the bottom of my steel pile, protecting the concrete floor from the good steel I drop on it.  My time is too short to play with something so difficult.  

He's Swiss, not sure about their version of sarcasm :P He actually used a thicker sheet of the stuff to make a new work surface for his band saw.

My blacksmith neighbour and occasional collaborator often leads me down the rabbit hole of forging steel into the required shape for a certain project.  The three cleavers I made this year were the first, complete and utter waste of time to get a little extra width out of a piece of leaf spring.

Next one was my idea, trying of get wide enough material from a large bearing race to make a large kitchen knife........called a halt to that after the first forging session.

12 hours ago, Geoff Keyes said:

Maybe you could face a file guide in it.

Geoff

Excellent idea.

I wonder if it could make a descent platen-face.

1 hour ago, Charles du Preez said:

I wonder if it could make a descent platen-face.

I considered that as well, but it's very thin, so mounting it or fixing mounts to it might be an issue.

I'm sure I can heat treat the 5160 platen I'm having milled out, while this stuff.....who knows.

I need to heat treat a 14C28N blade soon so I'll make a test blade from this stuff.......seeing as how I have to go past 1000C I try to do more while the kiln is hot.