Posted (edited)

I’ve decided that I really need a respirator, what’s a good one to buy? And what should I look for, there are things rated for pain, pesticides, automotive etc etc 

Edited by Conner Michaux

Posted (edited)

I use a fairly inexpensive one from the local Home Cheapo. I get the ones that handle fine dust and particulate matter. Someday, I should upgrade to one of those expensive forced air ones, but I'm already old and damaged, so it 's probably closing the barn after the horses are already out.

Something is better than nothing, so get something that is geared to what you do. If you are mostly trying to protect from metal grinding and wood dust, get one that is for that work.

These are getting all sorts of traffic on social media:  https://rzmask.com/

Edited by Joshua States

I highly recommend a full face respirator, like the one in the first link that Bruno posted. They give a more positive seal than most half face respirators, with the added benefit of not having to wear safety glasses (assuming the "lens" is impact resistant, most are.)

Dont grind anything without either a respirator or a quality ventilation system. It's not worth your lungs. Period. 

One thing that I figured out the hard way; keep your respirator in a large plastic bag when it's not on your face. Having dust inside the mask defeats its purpose. Also, there was once a spider inside mine... while it was on my face. 

I got that thing off my head in record time when I saw it :lol:.

Yeah I’ve been doing quite a bit of grinding and sanding, and I can feel the dust in my lungs and throat if I could afford a full face mask I would definitely get one. 

Go on Amazon and search for "Full face respirator," some can be had for 50-75 dollars and are suprisingly high quality. The one I use, I believe I paid 60 dollars for, and it's very nice. 

Posted (edited)

the second link is cheap and works well plus the filter (20$ at home box store for one set. better deal in link 3).  I used one for years on the job.  Always worked well in very dirty/dusty conditions and extreme temps.  Wish I bought it 10 years before I finally did.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Particulate-7093B-Respiratory-Protection/dp/B009POIG9Y/

Edited by Bruno

On 10/1/2019 at 11:25 PM, Will W. said:

I highly recommend a full face respirator, like the one in the first link that Bruno posted. They give a more positive seal than most half face respirators, with the added benefit of not having to wear safety glasses (assuming the "lens" is impact resistant, most are.)

I normally grind with both a curved face shield and glasses.  The half mask I use does not fit under the curved shield.  However the cheaper face shields it will.  Seems a better choice just to go after the better PPE in this case. 

Don't slack on the PPE get the best you can afford, or simply justify getting the better option.

I only recently bought a half mask after a pattern welding class, and will never grind that much material again without one.  It does make me think about all the years I have ground steel without one.  Thankfully, I limit grinding in general.

Something like this, a pair of cheap safety glasses and some foam earplugs is all you need. https://www.amazon.com/3M-Facepiece-Respirator-6291-Particulate/dp/B000FTEDMM/ref=sr_1_7?keywords=respirator&qid=1570224264&sr=8-7

image.png

It doesn't have to be super expensive.  You do need it to fit your face properly.  When getting more filter elements make sure they are P100 rated (that way it's good for almost all dust and other airborn contaminates)  https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/npptl/topics/respirators/disp_part/default.html

I'm on so many forums I've actually forgotten where this mask was suggested.  I think it would be a great one to make a positive air mask out of.  Also, before going to the trouble of adapting a blower, a simple filter could be attached where the snorkel floater valve is.  It's at least worth a look.

https://www.decathlon.ca/en/masks-snorkels/1616-8544-easybreath-surface-snorkelling-mask-blue.html#/21183-demodelcolor-8304664/33525-demodelsize-200s_m

https://www.subea.com/advice/easybreath-snorkeling-mask-faq-frequently-asked-questions-tp_3158

Posted (edited)

Which brings me to............................

I need a small battery operated blower..........like a mattress inflator to use as the air source in the positive air flow mask I'm trying to put together.  But I can't seem to find any information about how long these little blowers can run on one set of batteries.  I've contacted manufacturers and I've read reviews and asked questions of on-line resellers but can't obtain that information.  Does anyone on the forum have any experience with these little blowers?

Edited by Chris Christenberry

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, Chris Christenberry said:

Does anyone on the forum have any experience with these little blowers?

I don't have much, but all of the ones I have owned were the ones that came with the inflatable.  They have all been of such low quality that the life of the blower was not much longer than the life of the battery.  There may be better quality ones out there sold as such, but I wouldn't count on the type that usually comes with mattress.

FWIW, a D cell battery is usually rated at around 8000mAH (milli-amp hours).  If you divide 8000 by the number of mA your blower is rated for you will get a theoretical maximum run time.  In practice, the actual run time will be less than half that number as these curves are somewhat inflated.  (The higher the current draw, the lower the effective mAH rating really is)

Edited by Brian Dougherty

Posted (edited)

I'm looking at the Coleman 4-D.  I've looked everywhere and can't seem to find the amperage it draws.  But thanks for the tip.

Edited by Chris Christenberry

I've used a small shop vac on a dimmer sitting outside the area of work with a hose going to a disposable tyvek hood.  It was a bit cumbersome but it worked.