Silf Brandr - The Silver Blade

Ladies and Gentlemen...

Let me present Silf Brandr - the Silver Blade!

Blade in a san-mai lamination from a 3-bar multibar billet - making the lamination count a total of 7 pieces.
My standard railroad steel for the body, with ferrier's rasps and saw-mill steel for the folded edge-steel, with a core of high carbon tool steel.

Handle in African Ebony, American Holly, with spacers of vulcanized fiber and brass. the finger guard is in moose antler.

Sheath is in tooled and dual colored leather. Mahogany red background, and antique black stain borders.
Stitched with Tiger Thread using saddler's stiches.

The handle is engraved with Elder Futhark runes in Old Norse and reads:

ek em silf brandr.
Burin af eldr ok járn.
ávalt hvass ok buin til roðinn.

I am the silver blade.
born of fire and iron.
forever sharp and ready to blood-stain.

The knife is incredibly light at only 105 grams, with point of balance being spot on the middle of the finger-guard.

The knife can be gripped normally with index finger behind the guard, or in front of it.

It is mean to be carried horizontally in the belt, on the left side - with the handle pointing a bit out in front of the stomach.
Comfortable positioning, and easy access.

Silf Brandr-2.jpg

Silf Brandr Handle-1.jpg

Silf Brandr Blade-1.jpg

Silf Brandr-3.jpg

Silf Brandr-5.jpg

Silf Brandr-6.jpg

Silf Brandr-4.jpg

Silf Brandr-1.jpg

Unfortunately the blade came out with a few blemishes in terms of bad welds - but I've made sure they do not pose any threat to the functionality of the knife itself other than being cosmetic. I didn't have the heart to scrap it though... :rolleyes:

Anyhow, any critique and feedback is as always - most welcome. :)

And have a wonderful weekend folks!

• Like 3

That's a cool looking design.  Different than your usual approach, but still very much identifiable as your style.  Nice :)

One of these days I'm going to have to 'Borrow" that Holly frame concept...

• Like 1

This is definitely my favorite of your knives, carving on the handle and on the holly combined with the multi bar sanmai blade, Magnificent! :D

Edited by Conner Michaux
  • Like 1

So, if I understand it right, the holly is a frame around the tang with the ebony applied over both and the middle pins attaching the ebony scales to the tang and the bottom three pins securing the ebony scales to the holly frame.  Excellent work.

Doug

• Like 1

Cool design! The carving and handle engraving is a very nice touch. 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Alveprins said:

Silf Brandr-6.jpg

Unfortunately the blade came out with a few blemishes in terms of bad welds - but I've made sure they do not pose any threat to the functionality of the knife itself other than being cosmetic. I didn't have the heart to scrap it though... :rolleyes:

Anyhow, any critique and feedback is as always - most welcome. :)

And have a wonderful weekend folks!

Cindy Crawford's mole......those "flaws" add so much to the whole...B)

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Gerhard Gerber said:

Cindy Crawford's mole......those "flaws" add so much to the whole...B)

Haha! Thank you! :) I would however - rather have no flaws. I'll give it a try with the next one. ;)

11 hours ago, Brian Dougherty said:

That's a cool looking design.  Different than your usual approach, but still very much identifiable as your style.  Nice :)

One of these days I'm going to have to 'Borrow" that Holly frame concept...

Thanks Mr. Dougherty!

I've tried to "stray" as it were - a bit from my usual routine. Lest there be no progress...
I think I will stick to the engraving of the frame though. It gives that little extra "soul" I feel. :)
I've used other woods than Holly as frame before - but I've kind of stuck with this one because it is a bit more akin to a "blank sheet of paper" for engraving purposes. ;)

8 hours ago, Doug Lester said:

So, if I understand it right, the holly is a frame around the tang with the ebony applied over both and the middle pins attaching the ebony scales to the tang and the bottom three pins securing the ebony scales to the holly frame.  Excellent work.

Doug

That is absolutely right Mr. Lester. Previously I did not use pins on the back of the handle - but one of my knives without it started to delaminate at the back - so I got paranoid. And now it is standard practise for me when it comes to these laminated handles. :)

Edited by Alveprins