Quadriplegic's knife

I made two mistakes with this knife, first being I sealed the micarta to make it look pretty....and I got to remove that when I sharpened the knife again.

Due to the client's lack of hand strength I doubted he needed the natural grip of the micarta, I was wrong but that was easily corrected.

The feel-good part is his mother told me the knife changed his life, "he uses it for everything".....

That's the second problem, the blade is O1, and compared to the workshop knife I made for myself I couldn't understand why it was loosing edge on the belly...

Answer is "everything", he eats with that knife and on his insistence the handle is not angled forward as much as on commercial models.  He eats with the knife and that belly meets a plate several times a day....doesn't stand a chance.

This was supposed to be a test for a larger knife, I can see no workable alternative other than a serrated blade...or regular sharpening.

IMG_20190812_144229.jpg

IMG_20190812_162255.jpg

IMG_20190812_162320.jpg

IMG_20190822_174407.jpg

IMG_20190822_174440.jpg

IMG_20190904_162425.jpg

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Gerhard Gerber said:

That's the second problem, the blade is O1, and compared to the workshop knife I made for myself I couldn't understand why it was loosing edge on the belly...

Answer is "everything", he eats with that knife and on his insistence the handle is not angled forward as much as on commercial models.  He eats with the knife and that belly meets a plate several times a day....doesn't stand a chance.

This was supposed to be a test for a larger knife, I can see no workable alternative other than a serrated blade...or regular sharpening.

I sense a use for that sheet of Vanadis 10...

• Like 1

I'd classify that as 5 steps forward and only one step back.  Definitely should be a "Feel good" moment for you.

I wish I could help with the metallurgy issue, but Alan's suggestion made me smile :)

• Thanks 1

We can all learn a lesson from this guy, he broke his back in a rugby game when he was 16 and nothing holds him back.

He adapted a rifle so he can hunt, built a bait canon so he can fish at out coast, and wheelchair or not he makes a better living than I do.

I was hesitant to make the knife, but I was ashamed of that hesitance when he showed me how he uses knives.....basically weaves the knife into his fingers.

12 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

I sense a use for that sheet of Vanadis 10...

You make a valid point Mr Longmire! B) 

My google searches only brought up the production stuff but I guess somebody's done it before......that's a worthy inspiration to follow through on! B)

• Like 1