Jump to content
Chris Christenberry

Bladesmith Anvil Question

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

I have a 75 lb. Vulcan and have absolutely no shame in using or showing it  !!!!!!

The anvil you have doesn't make you a better smith, it's what the smith does with it that counts....................;)

fifth list 043.jpg

Edited by Clifford Brewer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, that's without a doubt the nicest Vulcan I've ever seen.  Wish mine looked that nice.  Don't know if it was you or someone else, but someone has taken mighty fine care of it.  Congrats.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That pic is of it's good side, the off side has a couple big chips that I have sanded smooth as I could.

Before I knew better ( years ago )  I milled the top flat and it will now ding if I miss hit it with a heavy blow but the rebound is still good on it

and it has always done what I asked of it...........;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kerri,

 

I've looked at the Sea Robin.  Tempting except for the cost.

 

As far as renting/leasing the fellows shop........................that's not really a consideration for him.  Everyone in our club has tried that.  It's a "no go".  Every evening before I left, I grabbed a broom and swept up around where I was working............put all the hammers and tongs away and generally spiffed up the area.  But as you mentioned most people won't do that.  I also stuffed a Twenty in his pocket each evening as I left for my use of the propane, lights, anvils, forges, tongs, power hammers and hydraulic presses.  He always protested vehemently and on the third evening he threw the bill back at me and hollered "I don't need or want your damned money!...............put it in an anvil fund.

 

I've got my shop space here at home all set up.  "Gasser" is almost finished, and as you can tell from my avatar, I've an anvil and stand.  I have yet to build/buy a 2x72 belt sander, but I'm pretty much fitted with most everything else because I'm already making/selling wood carving knives.

 

My attitude is I'll work with what I have until I can afford what I want.  The journey continues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

The moral of the story is, do not arc weld (or MIG, TIG, etc.) on an anvil unless you know exactly what you are doing, and that does not mean if you are a professional welder or not.  It means if you know the hows and whys of anvils

 

I assume you would need a massive pre-heat and post-heat in order to weld an anvil. It would be a lot like welding cast, I would imagine. And with that kind of slow even heat needing to be applied to it, the temper will certainly change on the face, and potentially, all could be for naught if you now have a soft face. 

 

Plus getting that big a piece of steel/iron up to around 800 degrees F would not be an easy task in itself. 

 

I wouldn't try it. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Will W. said:

 

I assume you would need a massive pre-heat and post-heat in order to weld an anvil. It would be a lot like welding cast, I would imagine. And with that kind of slow even heat needing to be applied to it, the temper will certainly change on the face, and potentially, all could be for naught if you now have a soft face. 

 

Plus getting that big a piece of steel/iron up to around 800 degrees F would not be an easy task in itself. 

 

I wouldn't try it. 

 

 

 

The recommended preheat is 400 F, and there is a specific rod for doing the face as opposed to the body, and there are different rods for the body depending on whether it's wrought iron, forged steel, or cast mild steel.  That HB has a tool steel top half and a mild steel base, and dude welded it with 6013 AC at room temperature, low amperage judging by the penetration.  It was enough to pop the forge weld, though. 

 

Wrought iron, especially the slaggy mixed scrap used in most anvils, really doesn't like to be arc welded.  The slag boils out and leaves lots of porosity, sometimes even a bigger hole than you started with...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Chris Christenberry said:

Kerri,

 

I've looked at the Sea Robin.  Tempting except for the cost.

 

As far as renting/leasing the fellows shop........................that's not really a consideration for him.  Everyone in our club has tried that.  It's a "no go".  Every evening before I left, I grabbed a broom and swept up around where I was working............put all the hammers and tongs away and generally spiffed up the area.  But as you mentioned most people won't do that.  I also stuffed a Twenty in his pocket each evening as I left for my use of the propane, lights, anvils, forges, tongs, power hammers and hydraulic presses.  He always protested vehemently and on the third evening he threw the bill back at me and hollered "I don't need or want your damned money!...............put it in an anvil fund.

 

I've got my shop space here at home all set up.  "Gasser" is almost finished, and as you can tell from my avatar, I've an anvil and stand.  I have yet to build/buy a 2x72 belt sander, but I'm pretty much fitted with most everything else because I'm already making/selling wood carving knives.

 

My attitude is I'll work with what I have until I can afford what I want.  The journey continues.

 

Do you think there would be enough people interested to start a "maker space" or similar? I'm not sure how much such a thing would cost, but I think it would be pretty neat.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have you joined the SALTFORK CRAFTSMEN ARTIST BLACKSMITHS ASSOCIATION  https://abana.org/affiliates/affiliate-map-list/#!biz/id/596ff30d9865a16110706f2b/Contact They may have a shop or you may meet members who have shops that you could visit.  Best if you can develop your own shop.  

Check out the video on the grinders page then look at the DVDs page for getting the DVD at www.WayneCoeArtistBlacksmith.com.

Let me know if I can help you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Wayne Coe said:

Have you joined the SALTFORK CRAFTSMEN ARTIST BLACKSMITHS ASSOCIATION

 

In an earlier post he said he is a member.  They look to be a cool group.  They have been working with Tonkawa Foundry to produce swage blocks, and I think there was talk of anvils, too.  I know because I consulted with the foundry about alloy and heat treat for the blocks, though the Saltfork folks asked for Class 30 Cast Iron (shudder).  I recommended otherwise, but they had an old pattern already that was currently set up for cast iron.  I don't know what they ended up doing.  This was right at 2 years ago.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, DavidM said:

Do you think there would be enough people interested to start a "maker space" or similar? I'm not sure how much such a thing would cost, but I think it would be pretty neat.

It was discussed, but not enough interest.

 

Jerrod, they make swage blocks and have tried a couple of runs of anvils...................but they aren't happy with their setup for heat treating, so the anvils project has died for now.  Not a bad lookin' anvil, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Chris Christenberry said:

Well, that's without a doubt the nicest Vulcan I've ever seen

 

Here is my 100 lb Vulcan. Nearly brand new.

https://www.bladesmithsforum.com/index.php?/topic/36668-vulcan-anvil/

 

 

20180104_131822.thumb.jpg.e2baa2f22c5a550cbc719a3a957db6b6.jpg

20180104_131753.thumb.jpg.108f117e60e8df3a63e07dcb5162a314.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow.  I don't remember mine EVER looking like that..........though I'm sure it did at one point in it's life.  My employees literally destroyed it.  They threaded nuts on bolts and whacked'em with a sledge hammer to lock them onto the bolt.  They straightened bolts they'd bent.  They beat and pounded on this old anvil just because it didn't belong to them.  Funny how employees tend to do that.    Good lookin' anvil, Jeremy.  Take good care of that beauty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm very impressed with my TFS. They have a 100# "blacksmith" model for about $550. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IHave you joined the SALTFORK CRAFTSMEN ARTIST BLACKSMITHS ASSOCIATION  https://abana.org/affiliates/affiliate-map-list/#!biz/id/596ff30d9865a16110706f2b/Contact They may have a shop or you may meet members who have shops that you could visit.  Best if you can develop your own shop.  

Check out the video on the grinders page then look at the DVDs page for getting the DVD at www.WayneCoeArtistBlacksmith.com.

Let me know if I can help you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a 100# Double Horned TFS and I am very disappointed in its design.  The hardy hole is at the flat horn base.  Traditionally the hardy is on the face next to the round horn.  The flat horn is undercut almost at a 45 degree angle, so he has put the square corner stress risers right at the area where he has removed almost 1/2 of the metal, creating a weak area.  The anvils are cast of ductal iron, not cast steel.  Had I known these issues I would not have bought the anvil.  I have a 500# cast steel double horned anvil as my primary anvil and the TFS is my traveling anvil.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a 200# Smithy Special II, and I love it to death. Although, I don't use the little shelf as often as I thought I would. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Wayne Coe said:

IHave you joined the SALTFORK CRAFTSMEN ARTIST BLACKSMITHS ASSOCIATION  https://abana.org/affiliates/affiliate-map-list/#!biz/id/596ff30d9865a16110706f2b/Contact They may have a shop or you may meet members who have shops that you could visit.  Best if you can develop your own shop.  

Check out the video on the grinders page then look at the DVDs page for getting the DVD at www.WayneCoeArtistBlacksmith.com.

Let me know if I can help you.

 

Wayne, he's said he's a member twice now...;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

Wayne, he's said he's a member twice now..

 

 

Every forum I make a comment on that's related to smithing, Wayne always chimes in to sell me something. :D  I've already bought all my refractory materials from him.  I've gotten to where I just ignore his posts, Alan.

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chris,   First, there is something strange going on with the forum.  I have posted the SaltFork thread twice because it appeared that it had not been sent.  I just had to delete the text because is was here again.

Second if you will look above I responded to information that he requested and was not trying to sell anything.

Third I try to provide a service to Bladesmiths and blacksmiths.  I certainly am not making a living from the posts that I make or the items that I do sell.  I will admit that I do make a little bit of "walking around" money.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/9/2019 at 9:15 AM, Chris Christenberry said:

I've looked at the Sea Robin.  Tempting except for the cost.

As far as renting/leasing the fellows shop........................that's not really a consideration for him.  

I've got my shop space here at home all set up.  "Gasser" is almost finished, and as you can tell from my avatar, I've an anvil and stand.  I have yet to build/buy a 2x72 belt sander, but I'm pretty much fitted with most everything else because I'm already making/selling wood carving knives.

My attitude is I'll work with what I have until I can afford what I want.  The journey continues.

 

Good on you for being pro active on the cleaning front with the forge- at my local guild many of the folks just show up 30 min after everyone else gets stuff out and leaves about an hour before close so they dont ahve to play in the dirt... But that is not everyone- just some folks. 

 

Great idea on the 20 bucks- I usually just leave my cash in the soda jar so he doesnt know it. I can certainly appreciate your efforts!

 

And already making the cash on knives- you sir are far ahead of some folks to say the least! 

 

Best of luck and keep on making! Cheers!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, Kerri................encouraging words.  Made some more money on the sale of knives, stropping paddles and sharpening kits in class today.  :)  Another little "acorn" for the anvil stash! ;)  I'll have enough saved for that 200 pounder some day. Just hope that day comes sooner than later. :D  "I shall persevere!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...