Conner Michaux

“Karambit grind”

Posted (edited)

I’m curious on how people grind karambits, or any blade with an inward curve in it.  

I’m not really a fan of karambits, but the inward curving blade is very interesting, and id like to try something like it.  I have access to an 8 inch wheel belt grinder, but I got a new (old but new to me) 2x42 with the tiny 4 inch wheel I think, at the bottom. I’m guessing these grinds have to be done with a small wheel. And into the next question, I drew out this knife design and it has what I think is called a swage on it, that is also inward curving. How would I grind that into the blade ? I’m probably not going to make this design, as it is heavily inspired from another makers design, and it’s pretty much exactly what the other makers knife looks like. I’m just curious on how you would grind the swage. 

image.jpg

Edited by Conner Michaux

I've cut belts doing a similar grind on Kukri, all I can figure out is using a 2" wide belt there's minimum radius that curve can have or you will cut the belt(?)

For a smaller curve you need a 1" wide belt, and least that's my logic.

I want to make a Karambit as well, but the only option seems to be the 1x72 belt on the wheel, and I don't want a hollow grind.

I'm open to being schooled on the subject....

I think I would grind sharp inward curves (kerambit) with the edge of the belt tracked over to one side, thats not easy and would require extra hand finishing, but I think it would work.

for less severe curves like on your swedge Connor, I would grind vertically on a big wheel.

It would be a good idea to do a practise piece in mild steel, or even wood, to get a feel for the movement your hands have to make, the smoother you curve the better your bevel turns out.

I'd do that swedge vertically on the 8" wheel.  

Do it on the edge of the platen. You can even round part of the platen edge to keep from digging in too much. Think less in terms of 2d and flat planes, and more like carving. That was the advice given to me by Mr. Knight when I basically asked this same question.

MarcusBigKukri.jpg

• Like 1