Sign in to follow this  
John N

Charity 3 hour knife competition

This is a bit of fun on Instagram, its a 'FIF' type 3 hour challenge, Rules probably don't need explaining :) - 100% of the proceeds of the auctioned knives to cancer research.

the relevant IG pages are

SBC are @societyofbritishcutlers

comp is @sbc_charity_knife_fight

(I'm @non_jic )

My blade so far has a bit less than an hour in it (hence it looking rough as our souls), I forged it in a batch earlier this year, got dispensation to use it as I am between workshops at the moment! - the timbers underneath are the handle options. I might go for the super figured Olivewood to distract from the inevitable sloppy finish on the knife :o I'm going to pointy the blade up a bit before bevels.

At the moment the blade has had a couple of wipes on a 60 grit, and a profile tidy up after forging. I forged to 1.5 mm on the edge so grinding and stone work should be minimal.

Ive got an hour and a bit to finish the blade, and an hour for the handle. Fortunately I have a lot of power tools (which still need wiring in due to the shop move) 

wish me luck :D

FNodD1v.jpg

• Like 5

Luck!!

Very admirable John.  Best of luck to you all!

Well done sir, seriously doubt I could get that result in an hour starting with flat stock using stock removal :ph34r:

I'm going to agree with Gerhard here... I could barely get that far with nice flat stock in that time! haha BEST OF LUCK!!

The blade is not big, perhaps 140 mm along the edge.

I set the tip and tang on the anvil by hand, and knock in the basic pre-form shape by hand, then do all the rest of the work on a small power hammer with a crowned top die, and flat bottom die. It really does not take very long! The starting stock size makes it easier again, as its basically flat bar!

The blade is then annealed in vermiculite, and cold forged true under the power hammer. Again only a couple of mins hammer work. The cold forging sets it up for minimum grinding..

The blade stamp is done after the first normalisation cycle. 

Heat treating time, and 'glue up' time do not count in this particular challenge. 

I made this little blade in a batch earlier in the year. I try to make a few the same when the forge is lit, as there is a massive efficiency gain in time a fuel. It also stops me worrying about scrapping the odd one grinding over confidently etc!

I went with the very highly figured Olivewood, with a bog oak bolster. I think I was there and there about's for the 3 hours work time, but I was mixing it up working on other knives. 

Some bits of fit and finish I would have reworked if it was not time constrained, but nothing structural!

I need to have a bit more time getting the finish right on the blade, and sharpening it. Will auction it on Instagram next week. 100% of the money raised is to cancer research. 

It is very interesting working on a time constraint, I would strongly recommend trying it, It very much focus the mind on what can be done in a short space of time, and how much time is wasted through disorganisation! 

S0NZDUU.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, John N said:

100% of the money raised is to cancer research.

This makes it even cooler! Kudos to all who participate, that's a noble cause. 

Those are all exquisite for the time constraint that you were under! I would have a solid 30 minutes just getting that big oak squared up to the blade, mentioning nothing about the 1 hour for forging. Impressive, sir!

They are all beautiful, but the olive wood on that bottom blade... oh my :o.

Edited by Will W.
Typo

6 hours ago, Will W. said:

This makes it even cooler! Kudos to all who participate, that's a noble cause. 

Those are all exquisite for the time constraint that you were under! I would have a solid 30 minutes just getting that big oak squared up to the blade, mentioning nothing about the 1 hour for forging. Impressive, sir!

They are all beautiful, but the olive wood on that bottom blade... oh my :o.

Thanks man! - The stainless ones have more time in them than 3 hours. 

I used to have a nightmare squaring the blocks up, then I got a decent quality 'TCT' mitre saw. It cuts square with a good, and 'glueable' face. Makes it a 5 second job. I only mess it up now if I try and sand the faces! 

I can work fast on handles now as I have acquired a few other dedicated wood working tools, not high end stuff but perfect for handles. I have a disc sander, planer thicknesser, and a cheap and nasty router table with a guided 45 degree chamfer cutter, for setting the basic octagon shape from a rectangular block, oh, and a buffer!

Im in the process of setting up a new workshop, and have put all the wood tools on a central dust collector which has made a massive difference, both to efficiency, and how I feel about woodwork! 

The main handle block is drilled 1/2" diameter x 2 1/2" deep, and the cap is drilled 1/2", nearly all the way through. The slot for the tang is then milled in, which is a doddle as you only need to mill 1/4" deep to break into the drilled hole.

I used to put a 'split dowel' into the hole, before the bits were glued together. It has since dawned on me that the dowel is not really necessary, I pour the handle full of 'fibre glass' resin, then put the blade tang in. When the resin goes off, the handle is solid with the tang as steel reinforcement. Its very strong construction!

Because the handle ends up solid with tang and resin, I can use a quick glue to stick the bits together initially. I found a product used 'in the trade' called Mitre Fast, its a 2 part Cyano that is amazingly strong, and goes off in 5 seconds. It will even hold wood to a metal spacer if you are a bit careful with the prep! (heat can pop the joint, so you need to be a bit careful sanding it!)

As you can see I have put quite a bit of thought into making the handles quickly, I can make them just with hand tools, but my first love in knifmaking is forging! I don't see the need to prolong the handle making part ! :rolleyes:

Got it sharpened! not really enough light to take crisp photos, but I tried with the light tent, and a couple of lounge lights on a dingy manchester evening.

I will put an auction thread on Instagram for this tomorrow :)

QbHy3n1.jpg

oJGVlFv.jpg

aYpGfim.jpg

NnSpmoU.jpg

• Like 1

Brightened the photo up a bit, and the knife is now up for auction on Instagram ! -  ( @non_jic )

kCzxmEM.jpg