Sign in to follow this  
Gerhard Gerber

Gas burner noise?

I'm using my improvised gas forge with only one burner for the last few weeks, still get more than enough heat and used a lot less gas.

I've learned enough from this forge to attempt another, or just modify the existing one considerably.

Part of the plan is definitely another burner.  

My neighbour and I considered a forging demo at a public event 2nd November, part of the reason we decided against it is my forge is the only option, but it sounds like a jet taking off.

We would have to shout to be heard, and we would be a disturbance for the rest of the event.

My only other experience is a big forge with 2 burners that's even worse........and youtube videos.....

So my question is basically what can I do to reduce the noise of the new burner? Will a longer burner be quieter? 

......Or are they just using good microphones and/or PA systems in these videos?

From my experience gas forges just sound like a jet engine idling.

Doug

The best option for quieting down a gas forge is to use a multi-port burner outlet (popularly called a ribbon burner).  While these are easier to design for forced air/gas forges they certainly can be used with naturally aspirated burners as well.  Careful consideration to matching forge volume and configuration, burner size and multiport outlet are required.  I believe that Dudley Giberson at Joppa Glassworks has a packaged design that is worth looking at.

Note that they are still not quiet, but certainly quieter than a typical burner flare (or even worse a post mix burner system like the old Eclipse burners).

Mine sounds more like take-off than idle.

Pretty sure the short pipes are a part of my problem, but from your answers I conclude the youtube dudes have good mics....those fluffy ones :lol:

I can get a few real fire bricks to build a replacement.  Think I should take one day in the week and dedicate that to tool building.....