Sign in to follow this  
Tom D

My first knife. (Handle)

My first attempt at a knife handle. Partly for fun and partly to show off the blanks that I’m going to be selling I put a handle on a Brisa skinner. It’s made from some yew I had in the workshop, the best of my yew wood is still drying, see top pic.

It’s a fairly round handle as I often reverse the knife when I’m skinning so I can use it blade up or blade down.

43B90CE2-AADE-468E-8698-37189A0C0393.jpeg

FA769237-3266-412F-A573-0E962C49FE9B.jpeg

Edited by Tom D
  • Like 1

That is some nice looking wood.  Too bad you can't just shrink down the slabs....

I'd suggest taking a piece of paper or cardboard and cut out the profile of a typical handle shape you use in the middle.  Then you can slide that around the slab to see how the colors, grain, and burls look on a knife handle scale instead of being overwhelmed by the beauty of the whole slab.

This is some lovely wood and a nice job on the knife Tom.

Gary LT

I believe I need some yew...

3 hours ago, billyO said:

That is some nice looking wood.  Too bad you can't just shrink down the slabs....

I'd suggest taking a piece of paper or cardboard and cut out the profile of a typical handle shape you use in the middle.  Then you can slide that around the slab to see how the colors, grain, and burls look on a knife handle scale instead of being overwhelmed by the beauty of the whole slab.

Good advise. I have a friend in South Africa who is cutting some exotics (tambotie, olivewood, cammelthron & red bushwillow) and I told him the same thing. Cuting them into knife handle blocks of 5 - 6 inches of 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 (minimum dry size) and what may seem spectacular in the board form can sometimes seem a bit ordinary in block form so much can be lost. Most knifemakers are not interested in plain grained blocks without good colour and or grain contrasts regardless of the exotic species..

• Like 1

That yew is fairly close grained, those boards are around 9 knives each, so there’s still scope for some interest. I have sawed up a few bits from that log which was over a ton. There’s lots more to come, it just takes time to dry. There’s a fair bit of wastage due to all the included bark and aerial roots, I’ve done two bands on the saw on pebbles that are stuck in there too. It will be worth it though.

Wow, amazing wood and great work on that handle

I’m definitely gonna need some yew... 

Great looking blade! 

Edited by Conner Michaux

You mean something like this?  Nice!

43B90CE2-AADE-468E-8698-37189A0C0393.jpeg.253213e31bf7c1940ccd26429e68943e.jpeg

Where does one find yew wood like that?     

9 hours ago, Conner Michaux said:

Where does one find yew wood like that?     

Thousand-year-old churchyards in the English countryside are good spots...

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, billyO said:

You mean something like this?  Nice!

43B90CE2-AADE-468E-8698-37189A0C0393.jpeg.253213e31bf7c1940ccd26429e68943e.jpeg

Kind of, , i’ll Try and do it with the least wastage, there are some pieces with much more included bark and debris so on those once’s I will simply cut out the nicest sections where ever they happen to be and discard the rest.  That timber is in a dehumidification kiln at the moment, it is below 20% moisture now so it shouldn’t be too much longer till it’s ready.

i don’t have a US wholesaler lined up right now but I might be able to do a group buy if enough forum members were  interested. I have no idea what’s involved in shipping to the US in terms of laws and taxes either.

Do you have access to maple?  Would you be interested in a trade?  I finished cutting up a bunch of burl, curly and spalted chunks into blocks a couple of months ago.

Here are some examples of blocks from the same stump I had previously stabilized.

71.jpg blu37.png31.jpg

Edited by billyO

They look really nice! My knife making Is in its infancy so I won’t be needing any more wood. Although I really like that rippled stuff at the bottom. I’m really making knives for fun and to show off the wood that I’m going to be selling. I have some nice burl too, mostly elm but some birch as well..

im looking out for some rippled sycamore which looks very much like that rippled stuff you have  (Our sycamore is an Acer like your maple; Acer pseudoplatanus, where as yours is Platanus occidentalis.)

CCA871C7-F0C0-493B-B073-5DF76075A432.jpeg

16F25459-EEA0-4C88-94C0-342390CE584A.jpeg

35F816D0-EAD5-43A9-B859-1A2EF50622F7.jpeg

497383D0-E37E-4E85-88C3-4F6C78776F3E.jpeg

3591F202-506C-4381-80CC-6C74912F0397.jpeg

207504D4-99DB-4FF2-A10B-31EDCE31B1BD.jpeg

Tom, whereabouts are you based?

28 minutes ago, Charles du Preez said:

Tom, whereabouts are you based?

I’m in Scotland, South East..

Thanks