Sign in to follow this  
Gary LT

Couple of folders one with Fossilized Mammoth

Hi all,

i don’t usually post work, at least not often. With the last KITH, I was inspired to do a couple of folders. Have not tried slipjoints for a long time and it felt good for a change. 

The first one is a coke bottle with nickel silver and blood wood. Yes my logo is too large and I am ordering a smaller stencil. I have a young grandson who has a birthday late November so this one goes there.

The second one I really like, as I had a couple of small slabs of fossilized mammoth tooth for years. I think I got these at the Blade show, can’t remember. Being super careful not to crack or burn this stuff, the slabs are one. Pretty to me anyway. Nickel Silver bolsters. One pin is not nickel silver as I wanted to keep the pin smaller. Both blades are angled downward in the open position, so I need to work on that. But still functional and with snap.

B0645AC1-52C0-4C17-8A33-D74EE4E22F5A.jpeg

AD2AEE4D-FE63-4639-9D2E-CCEED810182A.jpeg

0D058124-1C8C-41B9-9F5A-8C7C460165DC.jpeg

F3F76268-AA89-4EF2-8497-0997E4C5F232.jpeg

6BDCF779-4D58-405B-A039-6E6E75878E0F.jpeg

• Like 7

Nice :)  I like the sculpting on the scales for the coke-bottle one; that isn't something I have thought of.

Thanks Brian, try it. Better grip opening especially if it’s a little stiff. “ Senor Happy Drill” here, accidentally drilled an unplanned hole there fore there is one pin more than planned. (oh well:rolleyes:) also got dangerously close to these pins on the edges. Anyway.......it weeeel work!!!!

Had fun!

Still struggling with my welding forge as it doesn’t want to behave properly. I want to get back to some pattern welded stuff which I had just started.

Gary

I agree with Brian, the coke bottle shape is a nice touch.  Both knives seem to have a nice tight fit and look good.

Thank you Mike!

Peer feedback helps support design ideas moving forward.

Gary LT

You probably know this, but the downward angle can easily be adjusted by grinding/filing back the tip of the spring slightly. (Before assembly of course)  I've been adjusting this to where I want the finished angle to be pretty early in the process of the knife, and haven't seen it changing much as I finish the knife.

I've seen sources that say you should leave the blade angled down a bit early on to allow for later corrections as they become necessary, but that hasn't matched my experience so far.  The tip should theoretically rise a bit as you do the final polishing of the spring tip, and the land area on the back of the blade, but I haven't seen enough movement to keep me from setting the angle when I do the first fit-up. 

Brian thank you as you are absolutely correct. I didn’t adjust it enough. The tang area on tear-drop at both the pivot and the spring was very small and I filed very cautiously. I had concerns of losing pressure and therefore snap action and almost did (on closing anyway).

As is now, it’s pretty “wicked” handling. I am good with it, finding it handles better than I thought but most folks probably wouldn’t.

Your pattern caught my attention immediately at this junction, (speaking more so of the spring pattern) and I want to “copy” it on the next one, as I think you build in a shape more accommodating.  (and thank you for being a stand up fella to share this pattern!!)

I have three fixed blades in progress right now & another coke bottle in the works. So.....let’s have some fun!

Gary LT

Very nice Gary!

I would never have thought to critique the blade angle, but so the learning continues.

Still scared but inspired, I'll try one as soon as I get an old VW front suspension to lay still long enough so I can harvest some torsion springs :lol: