E. Smith

What belts should i use?

Hello, I recently had the good fortune to come upon a very nice 2x72 Reeder belt grinder. Its a big upgrade from my old 4x36, where i could just run to my local hardware store and pickup some cheap belts. So, i was wondering before i went full out and bought some nice belts, does anyone have any recommendations, I.e what grits, what brand or anything.

If it helps your recommendation, i will be using the belt grind from everything from roughing in a knife freshly forged, to finishing both the blade and the handle.

Thanks!

This is a pretty common question.  Check out some of the thread links in this search.  You'll get lots of insight from many smiths on the forum.  

5 minutes ago, Jerrod Miller said:

This is a pretty common question.  Check out some of the thread links in this search.  You'll get lots of insight from many smiths on the forum.  

Thanks, ill definitely look into it.

I only use two grits anymore, 80 and 220. 80 to rough, 220 to finish. The 220s are a thin back flexible belts, helps a lot with handle work. After 220, I move solely to hand sanding. My machine (which I built) doesn't do very well at the higher grits. Probably too much slack in the machine. Plus after 220 grit, hand sanding doesn't take too long anyways. 

Hope this helps. 

• Thanks 1

I'd point you toward Phoenix Abrasives. They have a great selection at great prices. Their orange ceramic belts are tough, and supposedly their red ferrari belts are even better. Plus they just started carrying the shredder 36 grits also. Lots of higher grit stuff as well. 

• Like 1