Sign in to follow this  
Alex Middleton

Christmas Kith Parameters

I believe the general consensus is that a Blacksmiths knife is the theme for this year's Christmas KITH.  I'm thinking that we should decide on what exactly the parameters are so people can feel comfortable getting started.  Here's my take:

Any length/style of blade.

Blade and outer handle frame forged from a continuous piece of steel (Damascus billets and other multi piece construction allowed, as long as it's forge welded into a continuous piece)

Decoration may be added as long as the outer handle frame is not hidden or compromised.  Mechanical fasteners allowed for decorative purposes.

Firm due date of 12/15/2019 (allows for shipping time before Christmas).

Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree.  Thoughts?

• Thanks 3

Sounds good.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Alex Middleton said:

Decoration may be added as long as the outer handle frame is not hidden

What constitutes "hidden?" I want to do a leather wrap around the handle of mine, similar to the attached picture. *Note this is a image from google, not my work.*

Sheaths required?

0lvbhj3jpr331.jpg

Edit: also, are we showing pics, or keeping this a christmas surprise?

Edited by Will Wilcox
Added content

57 minutes ago, Will Wilcox said:

also, are we showing pics, or keeping this a christmas surprise?

Good question.  I kind of like the idea of a Christmas surprise, but I really dont mind either way. 

I personally wouldn't have a problem with that type of wrap.  I dont think it creates any doubt as to the construction of the knife.  It actually might come in handy to hide an errant hammer ding somewhere on the handle!:D

Sounds good. I guess show your work if you want, or dont if you want it to be a surprise? Idk. 

This just got interesting......

I've got three orders, a kitchen knife and a matched set of hunting/utility knives, and I need to start and finish a Parang/Golok type thing that has to catch a lift to the UK 28 November.

After 14 months working half day/half pay, I signed a full day contract and I start 1 November, no more 3-4 hours each afternoon for knives , :( but I'm thankful.

I see some late nights in my future for the rest of the year......

• Like 1

Christmas KITH gents:

Is there a definite agreement to do a Christmas KITH?

I know blacksmith knife was polled the favorite but do we sign up or just make one? I keep looking but maybe I missed the memo?:(

Gary LT

Good call Gary.  I'll start a sign up thread.

I haven't signed up....yet....I need to make sure the shipping costs won't make the KITH the most expensive knife I own......there is a very real possibility :(

Those look great, very clean forging. 

Edited by Conner Michaux

Júl used to be a very active member here,  and is a great guy, as seen on all the Arctic Fire videos. Makes a mean mead, too!  Clean forging is the least of it, the dude is an excellent jeweler as well.  Steel is easy compared to some of the stuff he does. B)