Ross Vosloo

Latest knife

Hi all,

Been a while since I have been able to post here. Here is my latest completed knife. It's also my first through tang construction. 

Steel is 5160, brass guard. African blackwood spacer and leadwood handle. The customer specifically asked for a big blocky handle.

As always, thoughts and critique welcome.

20191002_063153.jpg

20191002_063056.jpg

20191002_063020.jpg

20191002_063046.jpg

20191002_063123.jpg

• Like 2

I really like the detail on the end of the handle, is your mark punched into the tang?

2 hours ago, Ross Vosloo said:

Been a while since I have been able to post here.

Reading the news I often wonder how you manage.....

11 minutes ago, Gerhard Gerber said:

I really like the detail on the end of the handle, is your mark punched into the tang?

Reading the news I often wonder how you manage.....

I actually just etched the mark into the steel pommel nut. 

It's not so bad. Just arrived back from a business trip to Botswana, so happy to be home. I'll take Zim any day of the week :D

That's not something you hear every day.... :lol:

Botswana......great as long as you're somewhere in a park or something.....the rest moves too slowly :lol:

Your knife somehow looks a lot larger than it is in the photos, got scale from the video and that considered the handle is fine....the back part should help with indexing, and I'm guessing the lucky client is slightly older?

3 hours ago, Gerhard Gerber said:

That's not something you hear every day.... :lol:

Botswana......great as long as you're somewhere in a park or something.....the rest moves too slowly :lol:

Your knife somehow looks a lot larger than it is in the photos, got scale from the video and that considered the handle is fine....the back part should help with indexing, and I'm guessing the lucky client is slightly older?

He is indeed. I have to admit though, this knife is very comfortable to hand. Balance is just behind the front guard too.

My uncle saw this one and immediately ordered one just like it. In fact, I just about had to use it to fend him off from taking this one!! 

• Like 1

Looks great!  I like the wood, not familiar with leadwood, but it looks nice.

5 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

Looks great!  I like the wood, not familiar with leadwood, but it looks nice.

Thanks! Leadwood, combretum imberbe, is a bush willow. It's a very heavy, dense wood. 

3 hours ago, Dave Brownson Jr. said:

Very nicely done.  I like that blade shape and the handle came out great as well.  Great finish work.

Thanks very much for the kind words