Sign in to follow this  
John N

Loads of kitchen knives forged !

Got 6 hours forging in today, and just went with it!

Nothing was planned before hand, just had some fun with it. I also did a 250 mm 'K tip' Gyuto not in the picture. Its my first proper try at a nakiri as well - need to have a think about the geometry and profile a bit before it gets finished.

The smallest in the pics are about 80mm blade. All are stainless clad Aogami 'Super Blue' steel. They were forged, annealed, cold forged and profiled by the time the call of beer dragged me home. A good day :D

KEqqjcs.jpg

• Like 2

Cool!  What form does that clad super blue come in?

3 minutes ago, Alan Longmire said:

Cool!  What form does that clad super blue come in?

Its flat bar stock, about 2" x 3/16 thick.

Its quite an awkward stock size to work with for bigger knives, upsetting it into the tang is quite challenging due to its aspect ratio. The smaller knives were dead easy to forge, as I split the stock into 1" wide pieces before forging!

That's an awful lot of blades for 6 hours! And they're all quite appealing. Impressive, Sir!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Joël Mercier said:

That's an awful lot of blades for 6 hours! And they're all quite appealing. Impressive, Sir!

Thanks! They have just had a rough 'freehand' on a 36 grit belt, and the tang / blade transmission whizzed with a drum sander in a Dremmel (Foredom).

I will sharpen up the profiles on the iffy looking ones, once they are heat treated.

There, you see! I don't care if they're small blades, that's an amazing amount of work in 6 hours! :lol:

They look great, well done, can't wait to see the end result.