Sign in to follow this  
Jan Ysselstein

Question regarding vacuum chambers used in stabilizing wood

When looking at manufactures vacuum chambers ,  i noticed some are labeled not for stabilizing wood. Does anyone know why that is the case. Some mention the cactus juice name specifically.

It may depend on what the chambers are made of.  The chamber itself or attached components may not be chemically compatible with the stabilizing agent.  If the product says not for stabilizing wood, take it as gospel.  I tried to rig may own vacuum chamber with a food vacuum storage jar and food vacuum pump.  The agent that I chose to use ate through the plastic of the jar causing a spill on the floor.

Doug

Edited by Doug Lester

Yep, cactus juice will attacks some plastics.  I seem to remember that they have a warning about one plastic in particular on their website.

The one I bought is a large steel container with a perspex lid. Cactus juice can attack perspex apparently but it shouldn't come into contact with the lid. I bought a really large container so that I can put the actual solution and blanks in a second container inside the main tank. This works really well, well I've only used it once so far but I was really glad I bought the big one. I could even stabilise multiple batches at once with two different colours in two containers if I wanted to....

Translation from English to English: Perspex (trade name) = Plexiglass (trade name) = acrylic (generic name).    

• Thanks 1

IN

6 minutes ago, Alan Longmire said:

Translation from English to English: Perspex (trade name) = Plexiglass (trade name) = acrylic (generic name).    

Interesting, I never knew that!

So what type of see through lid is best for the stainless steel chamber as the one I have is sometimes difficult to see through. I have had to sand it off a couple of times.

I'm using a piece of 1/4" polycarbonate supported by a piece of 11 ga. stainless as the lid on my chamber.  I can't really speak for the longevity of it yet, but its crystal clear and easy to see whether on not the pieces are done bubbling.

• Thanks 1

On 10/24/2019 at 12:52 PM, Alex Middleton said:

I'm using a piece of 1/4" polycarbonate supported by a piece of 11 ga. stainless as the lid on my chamber.  I can't really speak for the longevity of it yet, but its crystal clear and easy to see whether on not the pieces are done bubbling.

What dia is you chamber Alex. Mine is 8 inches so may need something thicker than 1/4 to hold against the vacuum.

Yeah, you'll definitely need something thicker than 1/4", thick glass would definitely work well.  I built a custom stainless steel chamber for stabilizing handle blocks.  The top opening measures 6" x 7" and even with the stainless plate underneath it, the lid visibly sucks in quite a ways at full vacuum.

Vacuum Chamber.JPG

A good rule of thumb is that a strong vacuum will be 15psi.  Find the surface area of your lid in inches and multiply by 15 to find out how many pounds of force are on it.  It does add up pretty quickly.

• Thanks 1

Thank you for all the replies here ..interesting stuff. It looks like it will be a 9" diameter SS pot with 3/4 " clear plastic ( poly carbonate or plexiglass ) and a Viton 1/4" seal. BY putting a slight taper on the hole in the plastic the 3/8 pipe thread can just be inserted as if the plastic were threaded.

Jan