Jump to content

WIP A Seax at Last


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thanks again Josh,   I did another 3 etches and the pattern is much better. I will come back to it again once I have made the hilt and before I finally glue it in place.   I have d

This has taken me days to get to this stage. Way more work than I imagined. I am being over careful and just need to relax. Anyhow I cleaned the billet and the welds look so far so good. I g

Well when I got home from work I decided tonight was the night for the quench.   I knew this was a pinnacle point that decides if this steel was going to finally be a blade or yet another addit

Posted Images

It's a damn shame Rob. I used to really like you, but now you have crossed a line. You have made me feel really inadequate..……..

Dang dude, that looks fantastic. I mean, I mean, wow. Great job mate.

I still like you. It's probably that last name.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

 

I found carving kind of hypnotic. I know I sat there for hours but really have no recollection of time spent :blink:
 

have to make a collar then glue the handle and once done I will do the final finish on the handle.

 

Then It will be onto the sheath once I get some leather and bits delivered.

 

Thanks all for the encouragement comments and help. It really fuels motivation.

 

2 hours ago, Joshua States said:

It's a damn shame Rob. I used to really like you, but now you have crossed a line. You have made me feel really inadequate..……..

Dang dude, that looks fantastic. I mean, I mean, wow. Great job mate.

I still like you. It's probably that last name.

I am glad you still like me as I will be bothering you when I start the sheath as I have never tooled leather and am not sure what tools I will need to try and make.

Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Rob Toneguzzo said:

I am glad you still like me as I will be bothering you when I start the sheath as I have never tooled leather and am not sure what tools I will need to try and make.

 

I will post some pics tomorrow of some basic tools with descriptions of what they are used for.

First off you will need a blunt stylus to mark the leather and a small sharp knife to make light cuts.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Joshua States said:

 

I will post some pics tomorrow of some basic tools with descriptions of what they are used for.

First off you will need a blunt stylus to mark the leather and a small sharp knife to make light cuts.

Awesome, thanks heaps 

Link to post
Share on other sites

You can make do by pressing your design in with a blunt object as well. For this one I used a butterknife (for the design, pizza cutter (for the border), and the back end of a drillbit to press the circular part inside of the tightest radius at the ends of the knotwork. I also used a flathead screwdriver for some tricky parts. This way requires hours of careful pressing and sculpting. Make sure everything you use is well blunted. 

 

But if you want to buy tools I recommend Joshua's method. 

 

Please dont use a woodburner. I think it looks bad. Best o' luck! 

20191022_182618.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Zeb Camper said:

You can make do by pressing your design in with a blunt object as well. For this one I used a butterknife (for the design, pizza cutter (for the border), and the back end of a drillbit to press the circular part inside of the tightest radius at the ends of the knotwork. I also used a flathead screwdriver for some tricky parts. This way requires hours of careful pressing and sculpting. Make sure everything you use is well blunted. 

 

But if you want to buy tools I recommend Joshua's method. 

 

Please dont use a woodburner. I think it looks bad. Best o' luck! 

20191022_182618.jpg

 That’s a fantastic sheath Zeb, looks unreal. Thanks for the info too. Did you do the carving before or after making the sheath?

 

3 hours ago, Joshua States said:

Here you go Rob. I put up a thread in Sheaths and Leatherwork.

 

Very very much appreciated you taking the time to make that post. I think I will end up buying some tools and making some and practicing on scrap...That said I am looking forward to giving it a go.

Link to post
Share on other sites

You tool before assembly.

Its tricky. You want to form the break in the spine before you tool. For this you mark where the break will sit and get the leather wet with hot water and take a stick and press into a recess (between your ring and middle finger braced on your knee or a sink drain). You then fold it and message that into a break by holding the edge leather straight in a way that it cant fold up while pulling at the break to stretch the leather at the break and shrink it on the blade side. You also need to message the sheath around the handle.

 

I tooled this one while folded as I did not tool the other side. That's a bad idea if you will be using the more aggressive punching and if you want to tool the other side. I would form it to your blade, mark off your borders, unfold it and tool within your borders, and then fold it over again and carefully reform it to the blade. It will stretch out and relax as you tool. 

I would then let it dry and glue the seams. Wood glue works. 

You doing metal fittings? Look at Emilliano's pinned thread in show&tell "moonlight seax" (I think). 

Good luck!

Edited by Zeb Camper
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/7/2019 at 9:47 PM, Zeb Camper said:

You tool before assembly.

Its tricky. You want to form the break in the spine before you tool. For this you mark where the break will sit and get the leather wet with hot water and take a stick and press into a recess (between your ring and middle finger braced on your knee or a sink drain). You then fold it and message that into a break by holding the edge leather straight in a way that it cant fold up while pulling at the break to stretch the leather at the break and shrink it on the blade side. You also need to message the sheath around the handle.

 

I tooled this one while folded as I did not tool the other side. That's a bad idea if you will be using the more aggressive punching and if you want to tool the other side. I would form it to your blade, mark off your borders, unfold it and tool within your borders, and then fold it over again and carefully reform it to the blade. It will stretch out and relax as you tool. 

I would then let it dry and glue the seams. Wood glue works. 

You doing metal fittings? Look at Emilliano's pinned thread in show&tell "moonlight seax" (I think). 

Good luck!

Thanks Zeb, lucky I have a bit of scrap leather to practice on as I am sure I will need it.I will be doing metal fittings too so that will keep me busy. 
 

Hope to get the handle fitted today 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Rob Toneguzzo said:

lucky I have a bit of scrap leather to practice on as I am sure I will need it.I will be doing metal fittings too so that will keep me busy. 
 

Check out page 2.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Joshua States said:

Check out page 2.

 

 Wow Josh, 

I see I posted a response to your thread way back in Jan 2018 but I must have got lost in time ( I go Walk About from the forum sometimes but I always return) and never saw the finished result....until now.... Great job..really great job man. There is a real lot of info I will find very helpful (especially now) as I also walk the same path.

 

Anyhow I made a collar out of nickel and glued it all up and am now waiting for it all to set.

 

 Nothing to do now but crack a beer. 

 

1A5972F2-4338-477B-84D5-BF0231181CFE.jpeg

489917F7-EA3C-4FA2-B1CF-BC91BD8B5513.jpeg

37AB4E14-541F-42DC-8080-BD375B57C93D.jpeg

26B25110-CF7D-4349-AC45-4F9D560BF982.jpeg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I have finished the Seax part of this build.

 

Thank you to all who have supported me along the way with advice, feedback and encouragement and also to all those who have walked this path before and paved the way for those such as me by taking the time to share their own threads, WIP's, tutorials and research.

 

Now onward to the sheath.

 

I will have to order the needed materials online so I will have some time to play around with some tool making whilst I wait.

 

42cm overall length

22cm Blade

20cm Hilt

Blade 6mm at the hilt and 7mm at the broken back.

 

IMG_5479-Edit-Edit.jpg

IMG_5491-Edit.jpg

IMG_5492-Edit.jpg

IMG_5505-Edit.jpg

IMG_5473-Edit-Edit.jpg

Edited by Rob Toneguzzo
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Awesome! I would add more but I’m to busy scrolling back up to look at the pictures. 

Edited by Conner Michaux
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Dude, seriously.... that thing is awesome! A work of art. I'm sure the Firebeards are proud. 

 

Killed it, man! Looking forward to seeing the sheath. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...