Sign in to follow this  
Allen Vann

Deep belly

Got a deep belly on this one (much like my own) :P any areas that need more refining?

20191012_092546.jpg

Hi Allen! It will usually help if you tell us the intended purpose of the knife. 

It's really more of a practice go than anything. More than likely it would just be used to cut various ropes and boxes to be honest.

I guess it could do.

If you'd like it more progressive, there are various ways of drawing progressive edge curves. One is to bend a ruler, hold it and scribe. Another is to use a French curve. 

I've actually used the ruler trick before, I like how it turns out on a more narrow blade for sure. How about the handle to blade transition, should I put a slight curve on the heel leading into the handle?

Since there are no guard or ricasso, it would be a good idea to round that area indeed. 

Thank you, I'll see where the steel leads me from here. I will be putting the curve to help guard the fingers. I may reprofile the blade a little. 

On 10/21/2019 at 3:45 PM, Allen Vann said:

More than likely it would just be used to cut various ropes and boxes to be honest.

Awfully large blade for that purpose.

On 10/21/2019 at 4:26 PM, Allen Vann said:

I may reprofile the blade a little

The profile shown looks very awkward to my eye. There is a much too abrupt transition from the flat & straight part of the edge to the curve.

• Like 1

I really appreciate the feedback. I think it's still going to be a few days before I get a chance to mess with the knives that Ive started. Just wanted to toy around with some oddball designs to see what sticks. Profiling the edge will for sure be my next step with this one. 

Couple possibilities:

Round the finger area with the heel still swept back some, also a slight drop to the tip:

knife1.jpg

Or, continue the finger round down along the heel and a slightly more aggressive drop on the tip:

knife2.jpg

I like dropping the tip a little, I hadnt even thought of that :wacko:. I haven't taken pics, but I actually turned it into a paring knife lol. Now just have to get around to actually finishing it!! BTW, sorry for the delayed response!!!