Think I originally forged this blade in 2009 when I made a couple war clubs and never got around to using it. Never got around to  using it until a couple months ago but shortly after I started working on it I had an accident when my right thumb jumped in front of the blade of my table saw while I was cutting the piece of handle material for this project. First time doing any  art work like this for me. It was a learn as I go moment. The half is 18" and made from a piece of hickory. The 7" blade was once part of a truck leaf spring Wayne Goddard had given me years ago. 

IMG_6253.jpg

IMG_6255.jpg

IMG_6256.jpg

• Like 4

Really like this one.  Were you looking at any source images when you came up with the design?  Feels very authentic.

Is it a "thru tang" with a rivet button?  How did you achieve the patina on the blade?

20 minutes ago, Dan Hertzson said:

Really like this one.  Were you looking at any source images when you came up with the design?  Feels very authentic.

Is it a "thru tang" with a rivet button?  How did you achieve the patina on the blade?

99% of the time I design as I go. Actually did the painting twice. Normally the first time I do something is better than second or third time but I won't tell anyone. It is a thru tang. This blade was forged to shape with hand held hammer and cleaned up with a carbide burr in a rotary tool and then etched. Put a coat of paste wax on it and put it the oven to temper which gave it the dark color. 

Edited by Raymond Richard

Beautiful piece!  How was the patterning on the wood done?

This gives a whole new meaning to "Give someone the bird" :blink:

• Haha 1

That’s awesome Raymond.

Love it, sir! B)

Cool! Very unique. 

16 hours ago, Brian Dougherty said:

Beautiful piece!  How was the patterning on the wood done?

This gives a whole new meaning to "Give someone the bird" :blink:

The other bird is a lot more gentle. This Bird is a lot more to the point. First time I mounted the blade to the handle it reminded me of the old Heckle and Jeckle cartoons. 

Everything was done sorta free hand but I did use a pencil and my left thumb to do the radius pattern before I went to the brush. After the paint was dry I used a scribe to scratch the paint. Its sealed with 4 coats of a floor finish. 

That is a beautiful and unique piece, Raymond!

How's your thumb doing?  I was just a guest at a wedding where the groom was completely missing an index finger due to a table saw.  :blink:

12 hours ago, James Helm said:

That is a beautiful and unique piece, Raymond!

How's your thumb doing?  I was just a guest at a wedding where the groom was completely missing an index finger due to a table saw.  :blink:

James, Other than losing the feeling in the part of the thumb I use its actually doing better than I thought. Did burn it a little the other day and didn't feel a thing. Once I smell burning flesh I know what it is. 

21 hours ago, James Helm said:

That's interesting, James.  I lost my ring finger, left hand, 7 days before my wedding in 2013.  Gruesome accident at the table saw.  You might say "I fought the Dado Blade and the Dado Blade won!" :lol:  (is that how the song went?)  My little wife said that was a hell of a way to get out of wearing a wedding ring.  The minute I got out of the bandaging, I bought a ring for my second finger.

Raymond, I think your "bird" Hawk is most unusual and extremely beautiful.  What an imagination.  Good work.

51 minutes ago, Chris Christenberry said:

That's interesting, James.  I lost my ring finger, left hand, 7 days before my wedding in 2013.  Gruesome accident at the table saw.  You might say "I fought the Dado Blade and the Dado Blade won!" :lol:  (is that how the song went?)  My little wife said that was a hell of a way to get out of wearing a wedding ring.  The minute I got out of the bandaging, I bought a ring for my second finger.

Raymond, I think your "bird" Hawk is most unusual and extremely beautiful.  What an imagination.  Good work.

Chris, Bet that dado blade didn't even slow down or say it was sorry. Were you using an adjustable carbide dado or the older multiblade set up? 

51 minutes ago, Chris Christenberry said:

Here's a photo I took when I first started working on the bird. Made a few changes in the process. I was also working on a knife part of the time which I just now finished. Pretty sure the blade is W-2 with wrought iron fittings. The handle I believe to be caribou antler. 

IMG_6241.jpg

IMG_6259.jpg

IMG_6258.jpg

• Like 2