Barry Copas

Bayonet ? Identification

Hello all, thanks for letting me join the forum. I have had, for many years a bayonet, ( I found at a rubbish tip ), and was wondering if any enthusiasts or collectors could throw any light onto what type it may be. Problems are... No markings at all ( rusted and pitted )... No press stud ( but a small hole about 30mm from pommel ). The blade is around 142mm, very close to AK type bayonets, and has an overall length of 264mm. The muzzle ring isn't round, and I wonder if that would indicate the type of weapon it related to. Other than the muzzle ring it appears to be a knife, it may of course have been modified but it doesn't seem likely that the press stud attachment has been removed, and, other than a socket type bayonet, i don't know of any other attachment methods. Wondering if any members have seen anything like this, or can direct me to other forms of enquiry.. Thanks...

WIN_20191023_21_03_00_Pro.jpg

WIN_20191023_21_03_54_Pro.jpg

WIN_20191023_21_04_32_Pro.jpg

I am far from an expert on such things, but a quick image search leads me toward AK's.  There are two things that are an issue.  Most (not all) AK bayonets have a hole in the blade near the tip that lets you use the scabbard as a wire cutter.  It's missing here.  There also should be a rear mount to keep the blade stable.

This might be a back country knockoff (Afghanistan? ) or just some random variant.  AK's were made everywhere, so unless you can find some marks on it, that may be as far as you're going to get.  There are collector groups and I'd try one of those.  We are more makers than collectors, though there is always a lot of crossover and someone may know more.

Good luck

Geoff

Thanks Geoff, the rear attachment has me puzzled as well. The quillion ? ( curved bit opposite the muzzle ring ) also has me perplexed,  this thing would be upwards of 50-60 years old, it was in this condition when i found it , well worn and rusty, 50 years ago, so it's origins would be well beyond that, really early AK perhaps, due to the size, but the shape of the muzzle attachment may be a clue somewhere....

As I said, there are better places than this forum to find out about this, but remember (as one old guy to another), 50 years ago was the 1970"s.  The AK has been in service since 1947.  Depending on where it's been, that surface could happen in just a few years.  The general form is related to the AK's

See the source image

Plus the short blade places it in the last half of the 20th century

I'm still thinking AK, with the manufacture in some third world forge.

That forward facing finial on the guard looks familiar.  Seems like someone posted a bayonet with a similar feature on here in the last couple of years.

Could it be an older one that had be reshaped?

The wonky barrel band may have simply been squashed at some point.

A distinct possibility, the handle may have been added, hard to see in the picture, but there does seem to be a "rough" joint on the handle side...

Pretty sure I have identified this object, removed residue paint, and slight electrolysis revealed marks of welded press stud pieces, and oil holes. I think someone has removed a lot of blade, and painstakingly ground a new , modern, shorter shape, and worked the blade, as well as rounding off the pommel, to remove any buttons etc....sigh....the grip ? screw holes, and oil hole align perfectly with a photograph of an 1888 and onward, Lee Metford Bayonet.

IMG_20191028_152555.jpg