JenniferP

Carving hatchet (Rutland Historical trades day).

So forged this at the last demo of the year.  1018 body and Rasp for cutting edge. 

3/8X1.5X10" or so.    Was bumped at the poll to 1/2" 

4hrs for finish forged. 

forged, filed and ready for heat treatment.  Haven't had time for that yet. 

And the photos of the last 3 demo's Hatchets.  Each one forged at a demo. the handled one NEB, the black one no handle EAIA and silver Rutland Historical trades day. 

20191019_140342.jpg

20191019_140350.jpg

20191019_155842.jpg

20191019_160152.jpg

20191019_160206.jpg

20191019_160213.jpg

20191019_160505.jpg

• Like 4

I still want to make one of those, Jennifer.  Good looking carving axe.

Beautiful!  The anvil's not bad, either.  

On 10/25/2019 at 10:51 AM, Chris Christenberry said:

I still want to make one of those, Jennifer.  Good looking carving axe.

the NEB one has seen some use. I've been using it to demo with.   Well, your one your way to getting a setup and with the new anvil. :) Just a matter of time.  Feel free to ask questions. 

On 10/25/2019 at 11:22 AM, Alan Longmire said:

Beautiful!  The anvil's not bad, either.  

Thanks Alan,   I will be setting up the new teaching facility soon and the Cutlers anvil will be in position for use. IIRC we had a conversation about Cutlers anvils awhile back.  And Yes, the anvil is not bad too.   Just got it few months back. Refflinghaus 58 sideshelf 460lbs. Been waiting like 6 years to get one. Will become the main shop anvil at my work station. 

2 hours ago, JenniferP said:

Feel free to ask questions. 

Ha-ha, Jennifer, I think you know me well enough to know I'll do just that.  Never afraid to ask questions. 

I do remember and am still jealous!:lol:. My main anvil is a Refflinghaus 58 without the shelf, 224lb.  Traded a few knives and hawks for it.

Jennifer,

Last night, while watching Youtube videos before I went to bed, I got on your site and watched your Tomahawk Mandrel video.  I believe that's the first vid I've seen you record that you spoke instead of printed out what you were doing.  It was great !  When you "over write" your comments, I have trouble continuing to watch what you are doing and read the comments at the same time.  Find myself having to re-wind the vid and go back to read what you were saying.  There have been times the comments covered up something I wished to see in detail.  Hope you do more of those.  THANKS !!!!!

Here I am struggling to make knives when the only thing I don't own is a hatchet and axe. Beautifully simplistic and my dumb dumb butt hasn't even tried to make one. Awesome work :)

21 hours ago, Michael Stuart said:

Nice work! Those look like they would be great for shaping bow staves.

Initial setup for sure. 

10 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

I do remember and am still jealous!:lol:. My main anvil is a Refflinghaus 58 without the shelf, 224lb.  Traded a few knives and hawks for it.

Well thanks.  Maybe a visit when the school is open..   that 224lbs Refflinghaus sounds great? How wide is the face?   That kind of sales is perfect. Sell, trade and upgrade. Best way of all. 

9 hours ago, Chris Christenberry said:

Jennifer,

Last night, while watching Youtube videos before I went to bed, I got on your site and watched your Tomahawk Mandrel video.  I believe that's the first vid I've seen you record that you spoke instead of printed out what you were doing.  It was great !  When you "over write" your comments, I have trouble continuing to watch what you are doing and read the comments at the same time.  Find myself having to re-wind the vid and go back to read what you were saying.  There have been times the comments covered up something I wished to see in detail.  Hope you do more of those.  THANKS !!!!!

it is the first with verbal.  I'm not a fan.  I like the titles better as they denote the next phase in forging. Instead of rewinding the video. Just pause on the title. :) 

The problem when I speak on the videos is there is a lot of information that would normally being shared while taking another heat.. In other words more like a demo or teaching event vs video.   All the reheat times get cut out of the video so I have to stop dialog when I stop hammering so find I end up having to add information later..  

Anyhow doing videos is a pain in the but..  I just like to go out and forge then add the titles later.  

With this said I will be doing more verbal ones instead of titles.   People like the narration better though I personally do not.  I like the good ol fashioned ones that have no music and a pop up screen. 

9 hours ago, JohnK said:

Here I am struggling to make knives when the only thing I don't own is a hatchet and axe. Beautifully simplistic and my dumb dumb butt hasn't even tried to make one. Awesome work :)

No Man can live by knife alone. :)    I have a Tomahawk making video in the works but the axe or hatchet ones I think will be a DVD sales kind of thing.  Kind of funny the last 3 demos were all on ax and hatchet forging. 

Looking forwards to your ax forging photos. 

7 minutes ago, JenniferP said:

I'm not a fan. 

Well, my good friend, I wasn't asking what you liked, I was telling you what I liked. :D:lol:;)  I understand your position though, Jennifer.    Ya gotta enjoy your time makin' these videos if you're going to go to that much trouble.  I like that you don't have music, and really like the split screen arrangement.  Heck, I've already told you all of this before, so you know where I'm coming from.  Suffice it to say I'll enjoy the title-less ones better. :rolleyes:  Hard to believe you create them completely within the confines of your show trailer.  As a photographer, I find that totally amazing.  Just keep making them, though.  I've learned a lot from watching your videos.

Indeed I shall @JenniferP Im not sure of the specific name but I wanted to make  one of those axes with the edge to the side that are meant for shaping logs into square beams.  Got plenty of white and yellow pine to build me a log cabin style forging shop one day B)(attempt)

John, its called a Hewing ax and it's just a larger version of the hatchets shown.   the last one made or the silver one is nearly and exact copy but at a much smaller scale. 

A Hewing ax is actually pretty heavy. 7lbs or more. 

I have one to make as I have some beams I need to do for a barn build but have a Felling ax to make before then. 

Jennifer, I just happened on this post and ventured over to your video channel. Nice collection of vids. I have to agree with Chris though, I typically prefer the talking videos rather than the written tiles overlaid. Then again, I have attentive fixative disorder and detest anything that breaks my focus...…..

Thanks for sharing the processes. Lots to learn there.

Oh and yeah, that's a pretty nice little hatchet. I have only made one axe and it nearly killed me. 

6 hours ago, Joshua States said:

Jennifer, I just happened on this post and ventured over to your video channel. Nice collection of vids. I have to agree with Chris though, I typically prefer the talking videos rather than the written tiles overlaid. Then again, I have attentive fixative disorder and detest anything that breaks my focus...…..

Thanks for sharing the processes. Lots to learn there.

Oh and yeah, that's a pretty nice little hatchet. I have only made one axe and it nearly killed me. 

thanks on the videos. :)      I love the old technical videos where the titles were included.    then I could stop and read them several times. I hate backing a video up to listen 3 or 4 times to hear what someone said, and I wanted the work to speak for itself so left out spoken word. 

Last year I asked the subscribers what they would prefer and it was a 75 voice, 20 title kind of thing and 5% over dub.   So, it is a follow up to the feedback.  

Sadly I don't story board nor setup a script I just get out there and forge.   In other words I just  turn the cameras on and make something, usually based off questions fielded on forums or on the video comments themselves. 

Teaching and demonstrating in person is so much easier than in the videos as there is so much more information than what can be covered as per heat at the anvil. 

Anyhow, it takes about 6hrs start to finish (about 3.5-4hr forging, 2 hours filing and heat treatment) to make a carving hatchet with no power tools up to about 3-5lbs..  Anything over that takes a little longer and gives the arm a really good muscle burn.. :)

3 hours ago, JenniferP said:

Teaching and demonstrating in person is so much easier than in the videos as there is so much more information than what can be covered as per heat at the anvil.

No doubt.  So I'll put on the coffee pot and you can come down to my shop and start demonstrating.  I'll be all ears and eyes and takin' notes. ;)

Edited by Chris Christenberry

8 hours ago, JenniferP said:

Teaching and demonstrating in person is so much easier than in the videos as there is so much more information than what can be covered as per heat at the anvil

Have you done much travelling to do demos and workshops? Would you consider traveling to Arizona?

19 hours ago, JenniferP said:

that 224lbs Refflinghaus sounds great? How wide is the face?

Fairly narrow, 4 1/8" wide, 30" from tip to tip of the horns.  I wanted the side shelf, but you take what comes your way. B)  

10 hours ago, Chris Christenberry said:

No doubt.  So I'll put on the coffee pot and you can come down to my shop and start demonstrating.  I'll be all ears and eyes and takin' notes. ;)

Well at some point I plan on doing some round abouts to friends and family kind of deal.  there are a few people I plan on stopping in on. :)

5 hours ago, Joshua States said:

Have you done much travelling to do demos and workshops? Would you consider traveling to Arizona?

I have done a bunch of demos.  10-12 or so a year  and recently for some organizations.  Next year I'll be at the ABANA 2020 conference in NY  demonstrating chain making and quicklink making as well as Judging the chain making competition.  At least that is the plan as of right now.  So, yes I would consider going to AZ. 

5 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

Fairly narrow, 4 1/8" wide, 30" from tip to tip of the horns.  I wanted the side shelf, but you take what comes your way. B)  

that is a fantastic anvil.   that is a perfect width face wise for most anything. (colonial hardware and most items I forge).  and having the dual horns it's nearly unlimited real estate. 
It's taken a little bit to realize how the side shelf can be used.  I originally wanted it for making forked type things  but the Refflinghaus anvils side shelfs are 1" thick. Not so good for things that are forked.  Great for scroll work and scarfing chain and such but for bevel work a swage is the best bet form myself. 

the 460lbs has a width of 5" which is not ideal.  but the 330lbs has a wider face.   and I wanted a heavier weight than 200lbs.  I've been using the Peddinghaus in the demo trailer which is 5" wide as well but limited in width unless using the heel horn.  The Refflinghaus with the side shelf does offer that some what narrower width if forged on directly.. 

Any photo's of your Refflinghaus?  Love to see it. 

2 minutes ago, JenniferP said:

Well at some point I plan on doing some round abouts to friends and family kind of deal.  there are a few people I plan on stopping in on.

Well, if you plan on heading my direction, you'd better give me plenty of notice so I can make the place look as if I'm doing some blacksmithing! :lol:

Chris won't be for some time. So you have plenty of time to make it look like you are smithing.. :) Really easy to make it look that way though. LOL.. 

. I have my hands full and unless it's a paying gig demonstrating some place I will be tied to the shop.. So much work to do and so little time.  Well that is as long as I can get the roof and frame up. 

WHEW!!!!!   
What a relief!!!!!  :lol:

13 hours ago, JenniferP said:

Any photo's of your Refflinghaus?  Love to see it. 

It makes several guest appearances in this thread:

The only thing I find less than ideal about it is it's softer than some anvils I've worked with.  It will still throw the hammer back at you, but a missed blow leaves a mark, unlike the Peter Wright I sold or the Columbian I still have.  Then again, that's probably why those two had chipped edges and this does not.  I get a lot of use out of that narrow heel, though.  

That is a mighty fine anvil.   1" hardie hole? 

.Interesting on the softness of the face aspect.  The Peddinghaus anvil is very hard. the Refflinghaus is on par with the Peddi.. 

Great thread too.  Worth a look by anyone interested in Wrapped eye tomahawk making. 

I'm happy to have it, and yes, 1" hardy hole.  The soft thing is probably just a random flaw.  I know they are advertised as being Rc 55 or better, and this one is definitely less than that.  It has not been through a fire (the factory paint on the sides is perfect except for where I've burnt it off with hot steel), it's just a little on the soft side.  If I'd paid for it new (it was made in 2000, I got it around 2008) I might be tempted to complain, but it works fine and it helps me remember not to miss. :lol:

And thank you!