Sign in to follow this  
Joshua States

When to quench made easy

I just picked up a tip from Matt Parkinson on judging quench temperature for most of the common blade steels.

Not sure if anyone else has ever mentioned it, so I figured I put it here.

As it turns out, common table salt melts at 801*C or 1474*F which happens to be a really good temperature to quench most of the more commonly used blade steels (10XX, W-2 or even O-1)

So for those of you who do not have a programmable oven, or are having difficulty seeing decalesence/recalesence (it's really difficult unless the lighting is right) putting some coarse grained table salt on the blade and waiting for it to melt, will get you to the right temperature.

That’s gonna be helpful, does it work with 80crv2?

35 minutes ago, Conner Michaux said:

That’s gonna be helpful, does it work with 80crv2?

80CrV2 and 5160 need to be at 1525 - 1550 degrees, so wait a while on a rising heat after the salt melts to be sure.

Good tip Josh, and thanks to Matt for mentioning it!

Find out what the temperature is needed for hardening and get a temperature crayon as close above that as you can find.  You can find them at welding supply stores or on-line.  Tempilstix is a commercial name that I'm familiar with.  MSC Direct and other outlets carry them.

Doug

This is very good of you to share Joshua. I do decalesence  / recalesence but I am sure there are times lighting and eye may have misjudged. 

Thanks, Gary LT

Does it make a difference if it’s sea salt or Himalayan salt?   

13 minutes ago, Conner Michaux said:

Does it make a difference if it’s sea salt or Himalayan salt?   

Himalayan salt has other elements in it that give it the color. They are heavy metals. The blue is cobalt and the pink is manganese. Which is why you shouldn’t eat it. That stuff is pure poison. Get a box of coarse kosher salt at the supermarket