JohnK

The Ides of Cold and Flu Season

Due to a severe cold, and an equally potent coughing spell, I get to redesign my Christmas KITH. <_<

20191027_155613.jpg

• Sad 2

A new one is underway. Unrelated but i hope nobody is a lover or hater of Eastwing.

Must have been a heckova sneeze!

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, JohnK said:

A new one is underway. Unrelated but i hope nobody is a lover or hater of Eastwing.

I spent my working life in th building trade and used only eastwing hammers. Like them a great deal as tools

• Like 1

Only good steel I had available on short notice :( necessary sacrifice :P I'm partial to them myself. 

3 hours ago, JohnK said:

Only good steel I had available on short notice :( necessary sacrifice :P I'm partial to them myself. 

I have and still use the light 20 oz leather handled eastwing my father bought in 1950. For myself I used the 26 oz leather handled hammer. My first one from the early 70's, I replaced the leather with wood after someone damaged the leather washers and having drilled through the handle for rivets had it break there after many years of use. Bought another to replace it in the late 90's and it remains my main hammer for heavier woodworking.

Eastwing always good 

@Garry Keown I prefer their flatbars/prybars. Hammers are top notch but for my needs they aren't quite heavy enough. I went for the Dewalt demo since I usually do a lot of remodels. It's a beast to swing all day but can drive a nail in one whop. I had 2 flatbars but one is enough. Besides it was pretty old. I'm a bit of a Dewalt fanboy. I just wish they'd put a little more effort into their tape measures <_<

@JohnK Never saw eastwing flat bars here when I was in the trade (used Vaughn bars) and havent had to look since then but did start to buy dewalt electric tools over makita (default trade standard here) about 20 years back 

The one I sacrificed for KITH is similar to this but 4" shorter. My work tools are mostly makita but personal are all dewalt. I could care less what data sheets say. Makita batteries hands down last much longer but charge longer, for sheer power I prefer dewalt. Batteries don't last but they charge in 15 or so minutes and mine is a 5yr old base 20v model and can drive 1/2" x 12" lags in 10s or less. My makita can't do half. I can say for sure Dewalt can handle more abuse. 

20191031_074858.jpg

• Like 1