Garry Keown

Professional Hunter EDC

The new design I have been refining is called the PH EDC. As an EDC for the professional hunter (Africa in particular) this knife must be able to do any of the chores a PH may need a knife for during the day. It has a skinning influence toward the front half of the blade with enough tip for penetration and enough length of straight blade for simple cutting needs and enough depth of blade to give good finger protecton during heavy work. Handle has been shaped so that there is depth for a slight slab sided feel which is an aid to prevent rolling in the hand increasing directability and safety which also eases cramp (caused by having to hold tight to prevent turning in the hand) during long cutting work with the rear of the handle having the recurve eased to ensure there is no friction (hot spot) against the heel of the hand.  Front of handle and in particular where the index finger rests is narrowed for specific transition curve to give support without inpinging on hold as this is another area where hot spots can occur. Blade will be from 5/32 1095 high carbon steel with a 4 3/4 in blade having a FF grind.
Comments welcome

PH EDC detail.jpg

Edited by Garry Keown
  • Like 3

Looking forward to seeing a finished piece!

• Thanks 1

Comments?  Well, you asked!  Almost wish I were the kind of sneak thief who would steal your designs.   :o    Like'em.  Like that one, for sure.:lol:

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, MikeDT said:

Looking forward to seeing a finished piece!

Have 4 of them ground and HT in a batch of 20 blades on the bench at the moment. Should have all the handsanding done tomorrow so I can start on the handles.

• Like 1

Gary, I can't wait to see them.  I really like the simplicity of that PH-EDC.

• Thanks 1

So quite pleased how these finished up

mZ2uzlol.jpg

qrj9awTl.jpg

• Like 2

I really like the profile of this model Garry.  It should work well as an all around field knife.

• Thanks 1