Joshua States

Married to a blacksmith.

Just in case anyone was wondering, this is my wife, Liz.

Liz Forging V2.jpg

Going to be a lot easier justifying tool purchases if she's using them as well ;)

There is 3 types of people you do not want to fight,,,,,,,,, the first being a blacksmith, they can knock you out on the fist punch,,,,,,, lol.,,, second is a drummer, they can throw a thousand punches,,,,,,, third is a circle gold miner in Alaska that has a running excavator. Please show the finished work and if she has any sisters that are single,,,,, you could probably sell the phone number for real cash,,,,,,,,,,, Congrats on the country girl blacksmith trophy wife,,,,,,,  LOTS OF JEALOUS READERS WILL NOT COMMENT ON SUBJECT,,,,,,,, LOL

Seriously,,,,,,,, we need more women blacksmiths and knife makers. How about a women's forum where only ladies can start topics? 

10 hours ago, Bryan Bondurant said:

Seriously,,,,,,,, we need more women blacksmiths and knife makers. How about a women's forum where only ladies can start topics

You do know that there are quite a number of "women blacksmiths" and why would the needs of "women blacksmiths" be different then that of "men blacksmiths"?

Yesterday my wife asked if she could try the power hammer. I was hesitant but said OK. So I held the hot steel and let her slowly ease into the tredle and when she was done she had a huge smile and all she said was THAT WAS FUN!!! Maybe I can bring her into the craft. Maybe she wouldn't be so mad at me all the time for buying equipment if she used it too. :D

That looks like a heavy hammer she's swinging.  I wouldn't give her any lip.  By the way, that flower, or whatever it is, looks good.

Doug

I do declare......................................that lady has some serious "guns".    :o   Was she just messin' around or is she serious about the hobby?  Hope it's the latter because we need more women in the world of blacksmithing so we might not receive so much flack when we start talking about the money we plan on spending for the next piece of equipment for the forge.  :lol: 

6 hours ago, Jeremy Blohm said:

Maybe I can bring her into the craft.

Just remember, be careful what you ask for. You will end up sharing the shop with her!

11 hours ago, Gerald Boggs said:

why would the needs of "women blacksmiths" be different then that of "men blacksmiths"?

Mostly, they just need us to get out of the way. Every once in a while, they need us to hold something for them.

6 hours ago, Doug Lester said:

That looks like a heavy hammer she's swinging.

2-1/2 or 3 pound cross peen.  I forget which.

5 hours ago, Chris Christenberry said:

Was she just messin' around or is she serious about the hobby? 

Oh, she is plenty serious. Our website is horribly unmaintained (my fault), but there are some great pics of stuff she has done. I really need to update the website. 

She is very talented and does a diverse range of work, from very small and delicate jewelry to large garden sculptures. She works in steel, copper, silver/gold, and uses stone a lot in the larger pieces. I'll look for some more recent photos. I have to update the website anyway. Maybe after the Thanksgiving show.

I think that's great, Josh.   Went through your site and am very impressed with her work.   It's always good when two artistic souls pair up.  Life is good when that happens.

I've been connected to the arts most all my life and my wife is an Acrylic artist and teacher of same.  So she's always busy creating something.

11 hours ago, Joshua States said:

Mostly, they just need us to get out of the way. Every once in a while, they need us to hold something for them.

Yep, mine wants help when she asks for it, not when I think she needs it :-)

If we "menfolk" were truly smart, Gerald, we'd realize that fact very early on in our marriages/relationships. ;)

Edited by Chris Christenberry

2 hours ago, Gerald Boggs said:

Yep, mine wants help when she asks for it, not when I think she needs it :-)

When I think she needs it, I always ask either:  "May I make a suggestion?" or "Can I ask a question?"

Edited by Joshua States

On 11/2/2019 at 10:30 AM, Gerald Boggs said:

You do know that there are quite a number of "women blacksmiths" and why would the needs of "women blacksmiths" be different then that of "men blacksmiths"?

WELL,,,,,,,, Women are special creatures with their own ideas about what is right and wrong with the world, what looks good, what has character, and what needs its nuts cut off first,,,,,,, lol.  More seriously, Women have a tendency to encourage each other in good ways that men simply do not understand. My baby girl is now a teenager, she was at many Arkansas Knife Makers meetings, at 4 years old, was the only female, and sat through classes with Jerry Fisk, Dr. Batson, and was there at Arkansas Historical Museum when Don Fogg was inducted into the Bladesmiths Hall of Fame, she was five then. Not a single female hit anything with a hammer, some nice ladies showed up to parties but I would have liked to seen some ladies getting after some steel, the same way I like to see women getting on horses and getting something done. Blacksmithing has very few people in the bleachers,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, HAMMER TIME! 

PS, If my daughter had seen a women making something, not just a bunch of bearded hillbillies in overalls at the forge and anvil, she would understand she should be hammering, not watching. 

The woman I live with had the same experience of being exposed to " a bunch of bearded hillbillies in overalls at the forge and anvil"  and had no trouble thinking she could be hammering.  She now makes her living blacksmithing.

My pot is a bit beat up so I never managed to find a lid to fit it, but my chances of getting pregnant are better than finding one that would have any interest in swinging a hammer.......

I had a slight crush on that lady farrier that took part in FiF :rolleyes:

Braggart!!!!B);)