why you should check to see if a metals hardenable

why you should check to see if a metals hardenable before forging your knife in the hat attempt

see embarrassing photo bellow its a forged rebar integral blades 6 1/2, 12 over all was forged from 5/8 rebar that i should have cheked for hardenability before working that hard. i water quenched a test piece and when i went to hammer brake it on the anvil it just left a nice dent in the shape of my hammer cors i thought of doing that after the thing was all forged out

:banghead:

i did get over 2 inches off width out of it and a handy little shape out of it but man am i pissed any way used a home made fullering tool to get the width in the handle and some spread on the blade note slight fuller going up the blade hand filed it and it was looking so good :banghead: oh well theres always coil spring :rolleyes:

forgedrebar.jpg

That's too bad because that is a great looking knife. I was at a place called California Steel and was watching rebar being made. It was poured and then stamped and put through rollers. A cool process to watch.

I was told that rebar is made from recycled steel. You never know what you are going to get. I don't know how accurate that is because I would hate to think that buildings and bridges are being made with unknown.

It's definitely a keeper, if for no other reason than it looks cool and you can show it off :) I would work the edge a little more and see if a "superquench" type quenchant wouldn't add a little something to the edge hardness. That's an awesome design and it would be a shame to waste it.

thanks the edit button is allllllll the way to the right and doesnt show up unless i scrole over hence why i havent seen it in a wile :D

the real kicker with the knife is it keeps on cutting it just bends real easly it came out of the water with a curve and i went to flex it and i put a curve the other way in it and with its shape i realy want to throw it but i dont want to spend that much time straighting it out after every missed throw <_< if i get the time i might try a little salt in the water see if i can at lest stop it from bending it will look cool on my hip at sca events :D eather way :ylsuper:

if i had my kiln up and running i could try to case harden it but my little wisper baby wouldnt be able to do that it was all i could do to get it out the back door far enough to heat treat it

Edited by dragoncutlery

Some of the old trade knives where case hardened, and it was part or most of the reason a lot of tribes of native americans would only sharpen knives on one bevel

Edited by ysforge