Gary Mulkey

Possibly My Most Ambitious Project

Impatiently awaiting the pattern reveal, Gary ;).

Seriously though, cant wait to see this. 

• Like 1

Am I just not finding it or is there a size of this billet somewhere?  It looks huge! Very excited for the pattern reveal! 

Edited by Conner Michaux

3 minutes ago, Zeb Camper said:

Oh my! Mild steel border and 1095 trunk!? B)

Everything is either 1084 or 15N20

2 minutes ago, Conner Michaux said:

Am I just not finding it or is there a size of this billet somewhere?  It looks huge! Very excited for the pattern reveal! 

Right now the canister size is 1/2" x 2 1/2" x 8".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zeb Camper said:

Powder too? 

1084 powder on the outside.  1084 + 2% nickel inside the tree.

Okay, with the disclosure of the dimensions, I believe I'm getting it.  With no size reference in your photos I envisioned it as much larger so just couldn't figure out what was going on.  (I'm slow, but I'm old, so that's my excuse!) :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm a bit slow......yesterday I didn't quite get what was going one.........blondie caught up and this is jaw-dropping.....:lol:

• Like 1

Wow, I get busy and stop paying attention for a couple of days while Gary goes all Mr. Miyagi on us!  Very inspiring.

Now I have to go practice...

...right hand wax on, left hand wax off...

...wax on

...wax off

• Like 2

Not the best photo but this may give you an idea:

I'm not totally satisfied with the Spanish moss but it's a little late for changes now.:)

IMG_6891_opt

• Like 5

Has a very japanese look to it. I love it!!

• Thanks 1

I see what you mean, but it's still another level of awesomeness. B)

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Gary Mulkey said:

Not the best photo but this may give you an idea:

I'm not totally satisfied with the Spanish moss but it's a little late for changes now.:)

IMG_6891_opt

Maybe not what you wanted; butttt..... DDDAAAMMMNN that's cool.

• Thanks 1

Indeed! That's really cool.

• Thanks 1

I am quite stricken with awe on this one Gary, as far as not what you wanted everyone is their

own worst critic...............;)

• Like 1

If it's not exactly what you wanted, it's a least a good proof of concept.   I know that seeing you do this has validated some ideas that I've had floating around in my head.

• Like 1

WOW.  Even if it's not quite what you wanted I think that anyone who sees it will know that it is.  Especially if they've lived in central Florida.

Doug

• Like 1

Wonderful art

• Like 1

FWIW, Gary, I think it's awesome.  Had absolutely no idea where you were headed when you first started this thread.  I'm amazed with what one can do with steel.  Blows me away.

• Like 1

I apologize for the poor photo quality but it's late and this is the best lighting that I have available now.

This blade has become on long, lean fighter type.  Sometimes the steel just tells you what it wants to be.;)

Since this one was made primarily  from powdered steel, it has presented it's many of it's own unique problems along the way but I think that I've got it going my way now.  

I've got a nice block of oak burl on order to be used for the handle.  (It seemed appropriate.)

IMG_6939_opt

• Like 3

I think you have achieved a fantastic result Gary. I feel if the desire is there and the time is put in we all can become proficient at this craft but to achieve true greatness one must also become an artist. You have done this here. Great stuff.

Rob

Edited by Rob Toneguzzo
  • Thanks 1

I had an intern recently that was fond of saying "Neato Dorito", and somehow that is all that comes to my mind right now...

You said you filled the tree with 2% nickel powder.  Does that mean you mixed 1084 powder with 2% nickel powder?  That's what I had assumed, but I didn't expect the tree to really come out that bright.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Brian Dougherty said:

I had an intern recently that was fond of saying "Neato Dorito", and somehow that is all that comes to my mind right now...

You said you filled the tree with 2% nickel powder.  Does that mean you mixed 1084 powder with 2% nickel powder?  That's what I had assumed, but I didn't expect the tree to really come out that bright.

Brian,

I bought the powder with the nickel already in it.

• Thanks 1

Oh My God, Gary.................That is beautiful.  My mind is going a million miles an hour with the endless possibilities that method could produce.  Amazing.

Now let me ask a newbie question:  Will that be one of your fully functional, MS level blades or a blade only for a display knife?

Edited by Chris Christenberry
  • Like 1