Gary Mulkey

Possibly My Most Ambitious Project

3 hours ago, Chris Christenberry said:

Oh My God, Gary.................That is beautiful.  My mind is going a million miles an hour with the endless possibilities that method could produce.  Amazing.

Now let me ask a newbie question:  Will that be one of your fully functional, MS level blades or a blade only for a display knife?

Thanks for the praise, Chris.  This blade will get the same H/T & temper as all of my knives.

WOW!  My mind is racing with all the possibilities you have opened up with this project.

• Like 1

Mind is now officially bent..........:wacko:

• Like 1

I would say that you nailed the design.  Nothing that could be but a tree with Spanish Moss hanging from it.

Doug

• Like 1

Awesomely beautiful.....

• Thanks 1

That turned out with far less pattern deformation then I expected! Damn you are good at this, Gary! 

I like the idea of an oak tree pattern with an oak burl handle, that's stylistically a cool idea. 

• Thanks 1

I've had the last two days off from my public shop which gave me some time in the home shop where one of my goals is to provide myself with something to work on when I get back in the public shop where I have limited tools.  Here's the live oak knife (on top) with the oak burl handle roughed out.  The oval guard will get some filework as will a matching butt cap. (The other knife is a mosaic dagger with blackwood.)

IMG_6946_opt

• Like 1

Good news & bad news.  The bad news is that this billet developed an unrecoverable flaw and had to be scrapped.  Though I hate to throw away all of this work, that's just part of pushing the envelope and must be accepted. 

The good news is that I haven't given up and luckily have enough of the Damascus left for a new set of leaves & moss.

On the good side also is this will give me a chance to enhance the Spanish moss in the pattern.;)  As I've other projects in the works, I'll probably take my time with this but who knows.

IMG_6948_opt

• Like 2

Quitting is not an option. 

What was the flaw and what do you think caused it?

Looks like something you'd find in an old Norse kings tomb. So literally not a fail. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joshua States said:

Quitting is not an option. 

What was the flaw and what do you think caused it?

There was a small crack on the cutting edge.  It looked like it was caused by shock.  Probably my own fault. 

Bummer!  But I guess that just comes with the territory, huh.  Such a disappointment would devastate me, but I imagine as many blades as you've made that were perfect, an occasional loss is more a learning issue than a failure.

• Like 1

Keep on truckin you'll git it ..............................B)

I was about done in after work today but did managed to get the trunk & limbs for my next live oak canister done:

IMG_6953_opt

Since I still have more of the Damascus for both  the leaves & the moss, hopefully it won't take long next time to be ready to weld up canister #2.

Edited by Gary Mulkey
  • Like 1

Hat off to you Gary to begin with for giving this epic a project a go. Best of luck with this one. I really respect your determination.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I got in a little more work on billet #2 this evening.  I had enough of the Damascus left over from my first attempt to make more of the leaves & moss.   You can see that I changed the shape of the hanging moss a little with this one.  I'll try to get the rest of the canister welded and the powders added next time.

IMG_6964_opt

image.gif

(Sorry Clifford............been waitin' a long time to "steal" that one from ya!) ;)

Edited by Chris Christenberry
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I got canister #2 welded & forged into a blade shaped object today.  Once again when I removed it from the canister it had some vertical cracks.  Once I got them welded to my satisfaction, I let the billet soak at welding temp for 20 minutes and did all of the bladesmithing @ welding temp just to be sure of not having problems.  This seemed to do the trick as there are no flaws  visible now.

While bladesmithing this one I got a chance to use my new Ed Caffrey angle peen hammer which worked like a champ.

IMG_7014_opt

IMG_7012_opt

• Like 1

Awesome Gary,

looks great. Love the photo of the glowing blade and that hammer too. I have in the past had issues with welds failing during forging at lower temps so I now forge at welding temp to. Can’t wait to see the pattern.

• Like 1

That is a very cool hammer! Neat design. 

It's looking good, Gary! I think were all holding our breath in anticipation ;).

• Like 1

After a rough grind & a quick etch I got my first look at the pattern. I'm sure that it will show more detail after H/T.

IMG_7089_opt

Edited by Gary Mulkey
  • Like 4