Sign in to follow this  
Don Rooker

My first Damascus

I can’t tell you all how excited I am about this. I want to thank everyone for all the posts and information I have been able to learn from on this forum. 

I have been working on my forge welding here and there and in between projects. I finally felt I was ready to give Damascus a try, just a small billet. I did 8 layers and folded it once leaving the 15n20 on the outside. Everything was going great until I tried to twist it. I didn’t clean it well enough before twisting and I should have twisted it tighter. To save what I could of the billet the twist is now in the tang and beginning of the blade. I ended up cutting and grinding to shape so that I could make sure the rest was salvageable. So it’s a first attempt and salvaged from a mistake. Let me know what you think 

82B64D89-D52C-4538-9A1A-73F7A5370BFF.jpeg

C360A719-EA97-4BEB-AA5A-0B41E55AD793.jpeg

919F3AC3-53E6-42C3-9363-0F28A7CC3B7C.jpeg

9CFDAA29-4256-4DC4-A6C9-DFE6E49E955F.jpeg

3FA4C072-DE4D-4129-827B-27AFF75A5E28.jpeg

09503EBD-7F36-4961-9A49-C03820498033.jpeg

175BC6BD-45E3-4CA7-BE4B-E9A179DDA6B2.jpeg

09B94F34-ADDD-4AA4-AB96-FF153F28A24C.jpeg

2C5096B7-90F3-4295-ADCE-D81F0DE37F87.jpeg

EE417052-C6EE-4F7E-B970-06C6ED59ECAF.jpeg

CCC415C4-114C-4D37-B4FE-6EE400E17CB7.jpeg

• Like 1

Yep, that's how you do it!  B)  I would suggest turning down the welder on the next one, you just want very light tack welds rather than serious penetration. Less cleanup grinding to do that way.

That's some funky bolster material, what is that?

I’ll try turning it down and running a lighter bead, makes sense. The bolster material is some type of acrylic I picked up at the exotic wood store here. It seemed very tough, I smacked a dull chisel into it and not much happened but then when working it sanded very easy. I guess I’ll see how it holds up.

i also used blue construction paper between the bolster and the walnut but it doesn’t stand out as much as I hoped. 

Edited by Don Rooker

I thought that's what it was.   I have made pipe stems out of it.  A little flexible for that use, but since it won't chip it's good for spacers and such.

Welcome to the addiction.....B)

11 minutes ago, billyO said:

Welcome to the addiction.....B)

Yes... this could become a problem

Very very nice. Also just made this same milestone recently. It feels so awesome, right?!

As another option for low layer billets, what I did was 2 5 layer billets, then forged them together with a single layer between them to make 11 total layers. Then I laddered that. Came out pretty nice 

Edited by Ross Vosloo
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Alan Longmire said:

I thought that's what it was.   I have made pipe stems out of it.  A little flexible for that use, but since it won't chip it's good for spacers and such.

I would use it as a spacer for sure. I may use it again as bolster for a kitchen knife. I don’t think I’ll use it again as a bolster for a working knife. 

Also Allen, a while back in spring you explained decalescence to me. I have experimented quite a bit and played with different temps, thickness of the muffle pipe and lighting. It took a while till I really saw, as opposed thinking I saw, what was happening. It’s been really helpful and a good experience.   

Edited by Don Rooker

12 minutes ago, Ross Vosloo said:

Very very nice. Also just made this same milestone recently. It feels so awesome, right?

It was an amazing feeling! I remember stepping back thinking “HOLY SH$! Its working!!!”. Blew me away

• Like 1