Ron Benson

Letter opener?

I was talking to our son yesterday, (he's in TX and we are in VA), and he asked for me to make him a letter opener with a fancy wood handle as a Christmas present. That should be no problem because I have a ton, (maybe a half ton literally), of wood from when I was heavy into woodworking.

The question is what steel? I assume that it should be stainless, and I am hoping that it won't need heat treatment, (since it won't have a sharp edge), because I have no heat source. Suggestions appreciated.

I know I can buy a bare blade, but I don't want to do that unless I will have to heat treat.

No, no need to heat treat, or even to use steel. Silver, copper, bronze, wood, bone, ivory etc have all been used. This is one of those situations where the only limit is your imagination.

2 hours ago, jake cleland said:

No, no need to heat treat, or even to use steel. Silver, copper, bronze, wood, bone, ivory etc have all been used. This is one of those situations where the only limit is your imagination.

Thanx! You have given me an idea. An African rosewood blade with an ebony handle. I'm thinkin' maybe adding a rosewood end cap and maybe  two rosewood spacers separated by an ebony spacer. It will be an octagonal wa handle tapered from blade to end.

That should look pretty slick Ron! I, for one, would like to see it when you finish it :).