other than cutlery,,

I was just curious, how many of you/us are blacksmiths who do other than cutlery smithing,, be it structural, artistic, furniture, commercial, etc. If you do, can you share what it is and why? Thanks for your input,,

jm

I do all sorts of smiting of metal, hot or cold. That's probably why I'm not that great at any one aspect, I try to do it all! :lol:

My wife wants me to concentrate on decorative art smithing, but can't argue when I point out that my decorative work has resulted in exactly one non-family commission, whereas bladesmithing, specifically tomahawks, add a couple thou to the disposable income per year. ;)

Why? I like to make stuff. I like to change it up every so often as well. Sometimes it's nice to just relax and beat the heck out of a chunk of steel, knowing that it isn't a critical thing to limit grain growth or worry about heat-treat, and to slap a coat of wax on it after forging and call it done. B)

I too do the blacksmithing "thing" but it was knives that really got me started. and like Alan, it's nice to be able to whack away on a piece of hot steel, decide midway what it's gonna "be" and then call it done with some paint or oil.

I've focused on knives the past couple of months, out of necessity and our of obligation (I said I'd make a knife for the Primal Fires KITH) but I've also managed to fill a lot of the space on a 28"x35" fireplace front that I'm doing, just because I can :D I'll have pics of that on my site when it's finished. There's a lot of stuff on my site, but not nearly all of what I've done and I discuss "why" I do it in more detail. Please take a look.

http://www.alchemyforge.net

small_for_web-219x263.jpg

Edited by Kristopher Skelton

I find smiting hot metal to be theraputic and tend to do what the anvil and hammer tells me to. Knives just happens to be something I like and might be able to make some extra money to pay for my addiction... er hobby with so I've been concetrating on that and am starting to get some that I think are good enough to sell. (haven't sold any yet or tried to). In a few weeks I should have some picts available.

besides, knives allow me to clearly see how my technique is progressing. My first few knives were ugly.

i get the same thing i can sell knives ok but i have to just about give metal work away had a huge candle holder for more than 2 years finaly sold it with a $20 dollar profit the thing was 5 foot tall lots of scrols and held like 11 candles it was beutiful :( i still dont make much on knives but i make a better mark up and it doesnt usaly take more than a year to get rid of the wierder ones and thay store better

I do a little of everything, I started out, like most guys, wanting to make knives, but the guy who got me started didn't make any at all, and so I learned iron work, and fell in love with it, it was about a year later that I made my first knife, and about a year after that that I made the second.

I make some knives, but make a lot of ironwork as well, and seem to sell about equal amounts of both. I've also been here local for 10 years selling iron though, so I've developed a market.

Tony

Me too, I make other stuff. I started my forging learning to make horse shoes as a farrier. I'm still a farrier but have become more interested in blacksmithing. I'm pretty new to blades and made my first hawk last night from an old horse shoeing rasp.

I haven't sold much of anything. There's a guy who wants me to measure a spot in his kitchen for a pot rack and I made a lot of Christmas presants last year. While I love making blades I'm amazed by how much more interested people seem to be in the blades and how little hand made everything else sells for.

Mike,

I actually just started back to making blades last year after several years without doing it, and essentially doubled my client base overnight!

I have found that after someone has bought a knife from me, they want other stuff as well.