Jeremy Blohm

Wrought iron axe

18 minutes ago, Will Wilcox said:

Some people just dont appreciate handcrafted stuff I guess

I appreciate handcrafted stuff, but only if it's well made (most is not) and if it's some thing of interest to me.  The fact that it's handcrafted is the lowest of the factors I use to buy something.

I'm going to try my absolute best and hopefully I can appreciate and use it. I should say that I have over $15000 is equipment and I haven't sold a single piece that I've made. There was a time when money was tight and I was going to try my hand at making a dollar and I never ended up doing it and the tight budgeting came to an end and now I'm working on getting to where I feel comfortable selling my stuff. So far I have just given it all away or kept a few things to use for myself. 

Pay particular attention to steps 26 and 27 in Gerald's guide.  That's where I seem to be falling apart on my latest attempts. 

18 minutes ago, Jeremy Blohm said:

I'm going to try my absolute best and hopefully I can appreciate and use it.

I'm in the same boat with that.  To make a wall hanger is nice.  My goal with the wrapped axes I've tried was always to make something use able. The ones that I have together are just the wrong shape to accomplish anything. 

It does sort of stink that I've been trying to wrap one every forge chance I get.  Then I watched a friend of mine make a nice hatchet from a brick hammer in about the same amount of time for me to mess up one wrapped axe.

I've tried 3 wrapped eye axes with mild steel and only one turned out ok and my father-in-law uses it daily at his wood stove. The only thing I didnt like was I didn't get the height in the cheeks I wanted.

Here is a few pictures of the grain after quick etch.B)

Resized_20191114_101853.jpeg

Resized_20191114_101843.jpeg

Resized_20191114_101830.jpeg

1 hour ago, Daniel W said:

Pay particular attention to steps 26 and 27 in Gerald's guide.

Don't know if you did or not, but make sure the inside corners are soft on the bow tie.  Soft corners will curve over, sharp corners will fold over sharp and than might start to crack.

I have really nice soft edges on my anvil. How long was the starting stock? 1 1/2x1/2x?

Resized_20191114_122020.jpeg

Nat bad. I'm only 20 minutes past where I wanted to be. I wanted to get to this point by noon but a guy and his wife slid off the road trying to make the corner and I had to pull them out of the ditch and that set me back 30 minutes or so. :lol:

• Like 1

Resized_20191114_131411.jpeg

I'm not sure if I made it long enough. If not I will make another 

1 hour ago, Jeremy Blohm said:

How long was the starting stock? 1 1/2x1/2x?

It's all in the article

I realized that while eating lunch.....sorry

I'm reading and forging at the same time 

40 ounces or 2.5 lbs or just over 1 kg

Screenshot_20191114-163559_Video_Player.jpg

Some more progress pictures 

Resized_20191114_214441.jpegResized_20191114_214435.jpegResized_20191114_214432.jpeg

Edited by Jeremy Blohm
  • Like 1

@Gerald Boggs I would like to thank you for putting together such a good detailed article!!! I feel like I'm taking a 3 day course with a master!!!;)

I feel kinda stupid sometimes making videos and talking to the camera but anyway here is part 2.

, Thank you!

I wanted to refine it a little more but it was getting to be about 10 pm and the wifey and kids were yelling at me about the anvil ringing and they wanted to go to bed <_<

Looking really good so far - everything looks proportional..... can't wait to see it finished!

Resized_20191115_171852.jpeg

Resized_20191115_171822.jpeg

Resized_20191115_171735.jpeg

Looking good!

• Thanks 1

Yup, whut them dudes said man ....................;)

• Thanks 1

Thank you gentlemen!!!!

I'm going to make a better drift to get rid of the "hollowness?" In the eye area. I had a drift I had already made that I tried to get to work and it did for the most part but I want them a little better. Part if the reason that hollow is there, is because one of the peaks didn't get drawn out quite as much as the other three so I worked it a bit with the drift in. I'm going to trim the top and bottom of the blade to make it a bit more like the one in the article.

This is what I'm thinking. Or should I forge it all to shape? I just fear it will end up too long!

20191116_111001.jpg

Part three finally uploaded!!!