nprovos

Forging A Viking Broad Sword

This is a video completing about two years of work in creating a single-edged pattern-welded sword or seax that could plausibly have been created during Viking times. It shows alls steps from assembling pieces of steel, twisting and forging until the sword blade is complete and tested with a simple cutting test. It’s about 30 minutes long and shot on a Sony FS7. It’s 4K and color graded for high-dynamic range (HDR).

If you like it, please reshare it!

• Like 1

Amazing work, the blade is phenomenal - what an awesome video of the full process.  Thanks so much for putting it together and sharing it!

• Like 1

I've just finished watching this incredible video.  I am in awe of your skills.  Hopefully someday I might be able to accomplish something "similar" on a smaller scale.  At least that would be the ultimate goal.  Thanks again for the video.  I was enthralled watching it.

• Like 1

Saw the video yesterday, on my list for this evening B)

11 hours ago, Gerhard Gerber said:

Saw the video yesterday, on my list for this evening B)

Same here!

I just finished watching it a second time.  As a newbie, I found it even more fascinating this time.  I've only about 12 hours at an anvil pounding steel, so I tend to slobber when I watch someone create something like this blade, from scratch.  Amazing.

I am glad to hear you like the video. It's a lot of work to make them. Did you think the pattern visualization was helpful or was it way too short?

The video was great!  The pattern visualization was cool, my geek mind wants to know more about the process you use to do it though.  I really liked the way you showed the phase change in the material too, I was surprised at how pronounced it was on such a large blade.

I have of course watched the episodes leading up to this one, and I must say well done on the final edit!  The pattern development segment was just right, length-wise, but it might be an idea to embed a link to the entire video on that.  Or not. :lol:  

The unintentional hitatsura hamon is too cool as well!  And that final shot of recalescence was beautiful.  HDR is a wonderful thing. 

Fantastic blade and fantastic video production which gives great insight and appreciation for the effort that goes into making such a blade. The recalescence shows up so well in the HDR. Great graphics on the twist pattern too.