Sign in to follow this  
Jeremy Blohm

Vanadium

So I have an opportunity to get small amounts of vanadium and I was wondering if it would be worth getting and adding trace amounts of it in some crucible steel? This might be one of the dumbest questions I've had?

Heck-  get it for your "Chest of Curiosities"... My own bench drawer has 99.9 nickel pellets, chromium, as well as old wrought iron, Tungsten and a few/various other metals and alloys... Just cause... 

They make nice "touchy-feelies" at events and kids are visual learners to teach with.  For some its a good conversation starter! 

Get it!

As I understood it, it takes a very small amount of V in wootz to form the typical dentrites. A small amount of 1084 from Aldo(it's got some V added) would most likely be enough. 

• Like 1

So if you are trying to make wootz it would be a good idea to add some green glass as it has traces of vanadium?

From wikipedia: 

"The National Institute For Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) has recommended that 35 mg/m3 of vanadium dust be considered immediately dangerous to life and health, that is, likely to cause permanent health problems or death."

So, yeah. Be careful with the stuff. Dont grind it. 

I dont remember the exact numbers from Verhoeven's book, but it's a very very small amount of V that you're looking for when making wootz. So the trace amounts in green glass should work fine, a point I believe he makes in the same book.

• Thanks 1

Just to put things in perspective on the safety side, OSHA has exposure limits on silica (as in sand/dirt) as 0.05 mg/m3so if you are ever in a field with enough dust in the air to see it, you're likely over the limit.  Now, this is for a time weighted (8 hour) exposure, and is for long term health consequences (silicosis).  Point being, 35 mg is not a lot of material, but it is a lot if it is dust in the air.  So the "don't grind it" advice is indeed spot on, but if you follow that you are not too likely to run into problems.  

Edited by Jerrod Miller
  • Thanks 1