Chris Christenberry

Another "Which" grinder question

I'm convalescing from a retina surgery and am unable to accomplish pretty much anything but sitting at the computer and "surfing".

I've finally got my anvil and anvil stand.  Working on my gas powered forced air ribbon burner forge.  The next two things I need to address for my shop are a 2x72 grinder and a HT oven.  I'll start a separate thread for the HT oven so as to not get one thread too convoluted. :lol:

I know there are a lot of commercially available belt grinder options out there, but their prices send me to the corner like a quivering pansy! ;)  I'm quite capable of making my own, either from scratch or a kit..................but "which one to go for" is the question.  I've been looking at plans for the past year and have finally decided I like Jeremy Schmidt's the best. 

http://jerswoodshop.com/2x72-tilting-belt-grinder/

I'm fairly certain many of you have gone through the same process of deciding which grinder to go for and many of you have built your own for the same reason I prefer to do that.  So have any of your built the tilting belt grinder Jeremy sells plans for..............or did you build from another set of plans?What did you end up doing, and why?  Any thoughts or comments would be welcomed.

The Alec Steele Co. Grinder will be available sometime in the next week or so.

I built mine using imagineering. I just took what I had and started assembling. Never looked at a plan or anything. I bought a couple belts so I could get the layout for the wheels and built the frame off of that.

Didn't know Alec was getting ready to put one on the market, Jeremy.  Bet it'll be a good one..................and expensive, or at least too expensive for my feeble pocket book.  I've built a lot of things in my life with just "imagineering"............but this time I'd rather "lean" on a proven design and just follow the plans.    Jeremy Schmidt says he built three prototypes of his grinder before settling on the design.  I have not the time nor the money to make multiple grinders to find one that works properly.  I've only used a commercially built grinder on two occasions and wouldn't really know where to start.  I figure I'll have around a thousand bucks in it before being able to use it........but commercial models cost far more than that.  My time?  My time is free.  I'm retired, so time isn't a problem.

Nope..........starting from scratch.  Thanks for the link.

On a side note.....................I just got an e-mail back from Alec Steele's shop.  The basic grinder is $1,608 and the surfacing attachment is $990.  Both out of my pocket books range.  I'll be building my own when the time comes.

Has anyone on the forum built the Jeremy Schmidt grinder I mentioned in my first post?

I just looked up the Jeremy Schmidt grinder and I have a friend that built one similar to it. I will message him and see where he found his design. 

I got the plans for the Jeremy Schmidt grinder quite a while ago. It’s on the list of things to build but it’s pretty low on the list because I already have too many grinders.

If I was going to get a new grinder today though, it would be me building that grinder. I’m a big fan of the design.

There's also the plans linked several times in this thread:

I have an elderly KMG 1hp 3-speed and it does all I ask of it.  Tilting would be nice at times, but I can always just rotate the workpiece.   VFD would be delightful, but the three speeds are fine if it's all you're used to.  I learned to grind on a Wilton Square Wheel single speed set up to run at 6500 sfpm.  That thing took no prisoners!  

Thanks, guys.  I'm ADHD to the 10th degree and everything I build is way overbuilt!  Just a shortcoming I have developed over my lifetime.  I really like the JS design for that reason.  I know there are others that look as strong as an Ox.  Here's a video of one I like.   It's built like a tank.  I see no room for any flex in that setup.