Sign in to follow this  
Cason Hicks

Straight Razor - 1st attempt

I recently obtained an 8" contact wheel and decided the first hollow grind should be on a straight razor. Its 3/16" 1084 with a scrap-piece handle (osage orange, mystery wood, and pecan) with vulcanized fiber liner/spacer. Copper peened pin. 

I need to find a better way to get a consistent grind line on the blade, since this was tough to do freehand. 

Any comments or suggestions are very appreciated. This was a fun thing to do with a scrap cutoff steel piece

image0.jpg?width=840&height=630

• Like 2

Use the work rest?  If you don't have one, build one.  They make a straight hollow like that very simple.  

Unfortunately, I need to get a new work rest... the one I inherited has a nice warp in it from the previous owner having it welded to the square tubing. Its FAR from flat. 

On 11/18/2019 at 1:20 PM, Cason Hicks said:

Unfortunately, I need to get a new work rest... the one I inherited has a nice warp in it from the previous owner having it welded to the square tubing. Its FAR from flat. 

Minimum 3/8" plate, 1/2" if you can get it. 

Edited by Joshua States

I second what Joshua and Alan said.

As far as the razor goes, I think it looks good. Straight razors are one of those things that are supposed to look handsome, dignified, and classy and yours certainly does! 

• Like 1

Well I appreciate that, Will. I am happy with how it came out. As for the handle, I had a "shaving enthusiast" tell me that he knew I was a knifemaker by the shape of the handle. Meaning that its a little bulkier and shaped a bit more like a knife than a straight razor. 

Joshua and Will - where is the best place to source a good piece of flat, thick steel? And is bolting a better mounting option than welding (because the current larger rest I have has some serious warping from the welding) 

Take your old tooling arm to a local fab shop.  This means you will use old technology, a phone book!  :P  Look up "welding and metal fabrication" or "Machine shops" and you'll find more than you may have suspected.  These guys are most emphatically not on Facebook.  And they have cool tools and steel of all sizes and sections.  Mild steel at a third the price of Home Despot or Lowe's, and often it's actual 1018 or 1020 and not A36.  Depending on what they make/repair (not knowing where you are I can't tell)[actually I can trace your IP address, but you know what I mean] they may stock plate up to 1" thick standard, and can order you anything from 10 gauge to 6" thick.  And of you like making axes, ask them if they have any drops of the size you're using.  Those little short pieces they can't use are great for our purposes.  Just yesterday I got about 6 feet of 3/8 x 1 in 10" to 12" lengths for scrap prices.   And Friday I got about 3.5 feet of 1/2" x 2" for scrap because it was too short for anyone else.  

So:  if you have your old tooling arm with you, explain what you want and they can make you a whole new one (won't be cheap) or just cut off the old rest and weld on a new one from 1/2" plate with no warping, or if it does warp they can fix it.