Sign in to follow this  
Geoff Keyes

In need of a project?

I got this sword blade as part of a trade of some kind.  I just found it while cleaning.  I don't really have time for it, so if there is someone who needs a project, make me an offer.

IMG_1760 (Medium).JPG

IMG_1761 (Medium).JPG

IMG_1762 (Medium).JPG

IMG_1763 (Medium).JPG

IMG_1764 (Medium).JPG

IMG_1765 (Medium).JPG

IMG_1766 (Medium).JPG

IMG_1767 (Medium).JPG

IMG_1768 (Medium).JPG

IMG_1769 (Medium).JPG

Geoff

Couldn't find a PM button for you Geoff; what would you consider a fair price for this distressed sword?

Sword arrived Monday, Geoff....looks like I have my work cut out ;)

Some interesting anomalies in the blade; can you share any knowledge of the history? Was it in a fire? Any ideas on age, source?

Edited by SteveShimanek

I know pretty much nothing.  I know that someone had wrapped duct tape around the tang and used it for chopping blackberries.  I took it as trade for some blade work, but that's about it.

Geoff

• Haha 1

I posted elsewhere about it looking like it had been used as a garden tool; guess i was right!:wacko: I will do my best to save it, if it can be; if not, it will serve as a graphic warning. Thanks Geoff.

Edited by SteveShimanek

I had considered cutting it into pieces and welding into a billet and making something new out of it.  Maybe cutting it down into a tanto?

Geoff

I am glad you didn't; I worked on it yesterday and started cleaning up the profile, straightening the warps, reshaping the tip, etc. It looks like it is a traditionally made blade, probably pre WW2, maybe older. Will post some progress pics when convenient.

The dings are unlikely to come out, but I have restored a lot of the original geometry already, more to do before i start moving up in polishing stone fineness.

kissakiprogress.jpg

kissprogress.jpg

dings.jpg

More work done refining and restoring the shape; all done by hand with water stones.

dingsreduced.jpg

kiss fixed.jpg

• Like 2

So after a LOT of work and wearing out at least one of my water stones, I have reached the main conclusion of this restoration project; i will probably do a bit more experimentation with finishing techniques, but the main work is done. The hamon and boshi are present but weak, possibly due to overheating from the previous grinding, or it could just be that this sword was not top tier in the 1500s when it was likely made. Many defects still exist and will not be improved by further polish; good to know when enough is enough. Huge improvement overall.

sugatafixed.jpg

sugatafixed2.jpg

A few more....

kissfixed2.jpg

kissfixed3.jpg

nakagoresto2.jpg

nakagorev.jpg

As old as 16th century?  Wow!  What makes you think that?  You've done a lovely job, I'm glad it went to you.

Geoff

• Like 1

It has the shape and appearance of a Sue Bizen kazu uchi mono, the mass produced swords in the mid 1500s, witnessed by the forging flaws and core steel showing through after many polishes. It was probably a WW2 bringback that fell on hard times; it can rest in peace now. Thanks Geoff!

I did some electrolysis on the tang to reduce the active red rust for about 2 hours; it came out pretty well. The shiny areas are remnants of the hamon after the sword was shortened...the end of the handle was reshaped like an unaltered sword, which was a practice in the 1500s that generally did not occur after that.

nakaclose1.jpg

nakaclose2.jpg

nakaclose3.jpg

Nice job on the restoration/preservation, and thank you for posting all the historical info.  I had no idea they were shortening swords in the 1500's.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Brian Dougherty said:

Nice job on the restoration/preservation, and thank you for posting all the historical info.  I had no idea they were shortening swords in the 1500's.

At what point did they switch from tachi to katana? Anyone? 

Cool stuff, Steve! 

• Like 1

The changeover from tachi to katana was based on the main means of warfare, and occurred in the 1500s. The most obvious difference was in how the sword was carried, and the length and sugata (shape) of the sword.  In earlier times, samurai fought from horseback using longer swords, and carried them edge down in a suspension harness; later, they fought on foot and carried their sword inside their obi (belt). (short version)