Dane Lance

I do macro

I dabble in photography and I like to shoot macro.  The following are some shots with my Canon MP-E 65mm macro lens, all hand held:

Can you guess what this is?
blue.JPG

Rust!  AHHHH!!!!

rusty.JPG

• Like 1

And, a few more more.

This little mantis hitched a ride in on my wife's black sweater, so I grabbed the camera and shot him before he jumped off.  He seemed to like to "pose" for the shots, lol.

Mantis-2.JPG

Mantis-8.JPG

A moth that was on the birch tree outside my porch:

Moth1-sm.JPG

• Like 3

I happened into macro sort of by accident.  Years ago I always wanted a decent camera and early in my military career I bought a Canon AE-1.  But, as you may well know, good lenses are not cheap.  Add to that the cost of processing film, and well, I never went much further than just basic snap shots.  As digital came around I wanted one of those, but they were big time pricey.  Later, after I'd married and had children, I found a guy selling an Olympus C3030 (an early 3 megapixel point and shoot), so I bought it.  Discovered it had a "macro" mode and I started playing with it.  I went around the yard taking macros of various bugs (and there were a lot of bugs in Texas!).  The kids thought it was a hoot, so every time they saw a bug they'd holler for me to go get the camera.  It sort of became a "thing."  

Now, many years later, I bought a nice Canon body (T3-i) and the Canon 70-200mm EF f/2.8 zoom.  My son was playing high school football and I needed a fast lens to get pictures at his games in the low light.  I then bought the MP-E 65 and the MT-24EX macro flash thinking I could do some nice macro.  Yeah, that lens has a big learning curve, especially anything over about 2x for hand held.  Sadly, I haven't even used it for several years now.  Just no time really as I have too many other things going on.  I'm actually considering selling the lens and flash and putting that money into tools and things for the shop or perhaps a nice camera drone (DJI Mavic Pro 2) as it would be great for filming my boat racing (I race C-Class hydroplanes in APBA sanctioned races around the country).        

Great shots Dane love that Mantis. I wonder what sort of view you would get looking through it’s eyes.

Great thing about macro and telephoto photography is you can show the word something they might often look at but never really get to see.

I  started shootin' in the mid 60s. While on R&R in Hong Kong in '72, I picked up two Nikon F bodies and several lenses. I did a little macro when I got back home, but life got in the way and I didn't do much serious work until the Canon 20D came out in 2004. The first lens I bought was a Sigma 150 mm macro lens. Here's a shot taken in my vegetable garden a while back.

CM716206-Edit-Edit-Edit1[1].jpg

• Like 1

That's some beautiful stuff. Gotta bust out my macro and micro scopes now :D

22 hours ago, Dane Lance said:

Can you guess what this is?

I'll play.....a piece of thread?

Edited by billyO

Tight coil. Blue jeans? Maybe poly?

I was thinking blue jeans as well. The color is reminiscent of demin. 

JohnK got it, denim.  Actually, it's the first picture I ever took with the lens when I got it. I dialed it out to 5x, and just rested it on my leg and took a picture of the jeans I was wearing at the time.

Edited by Dane Lance

All I thought when I read your post about selling was NOOOOOOOOO- think of the shots you can do around the shop... I would LOVE to get a setup like this and do a series of grain refinement pics and detail pics like hand sanding marks through the grits... Maybe Im just a geek about the process- but those would be great ways to teach, show clients or even just have in the notebook for process notes!

The pics are beautiful by the way- I particularly like the screw-head and Ron's slobbering/munching garden critter!

3 hours ago, Dane Lance said:

JohnK got it, denim

Well, technically, I got it too.  That is thread, isn't it????B)

4 hours ago, Kerri Duncan said:

detail pics like hand sanding marks through the grits

I would really love to see this! That would be so cool. I bet the surface topography you would get from something like 80 grit would be interesting. 

Woo-hoo I got it :D. It's been a while since I've looked at anything through mine. 

Ok, when I get a chance, I'll bust out the lens and do some pics of metal sanded with various grits.  Kinda doing a major clean up/rearrange of the wood shop right now and have some hand tools that got a little rusty and need to get them cleaned up.